Welcome to AC Web.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Breaking News / Alert LUA ?

Does anyone have a LUA or SQL script to customize the breaking news box on character select or login?

I can guarantee if you follow this tutorial the 'Breaking News' box will work 100%!

Nah already did it perfectly. No custom box appears. I even went back and changed the SERVER_ALERT variable in EVERY MPQ and nothing worked.

I have to be honest patching has never done anything for me, it just doesnt do anything. I know to make an MPQ and put the files in the DBfilesClient or whatever, but the changes never matter. Like if I make a custom currency the image never changes from red question mark. I have edited the DBCs and the checked everything and it's done 100% but nothing EVER changes, not currency, not SERVER alerts, no banned names, not graveyards, etc. I give up on DBCs and assume they cannot be changed. I know that I am wrong but fuck it, they dont work on any core I ever played with.
    Last edited by wrathclassic; 06-18-2022 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wrathclassic View Post
    Nah already did it perfectly. No custom box appears. I even went back and changed the SERVER_ALERT variable in EVERY MPQ and nothing worked.

I have to be honest patching has never done anything for me, it just doesnt do anything. I know to make an MPQ and put the files in the DBfilesClient or whatever, but the changes never matter. Like if I make a custom currency the image never changes from red question mark. I have edited the DBCs and the checked everything and it's done 100% but nothing EVER changes, not currency, not SERVER alerts, no banned names, not graveyards, etc. I give up on DBCs and assume they cannot be changed. I know that I am wrong but fuck it, they dont work on any core I ever played with.
    Couldn't be more wrong here. DBC altering is a must if you intend on making custom content. The PROPER way to change Breaking news is following the guide linked above. Worked for me numerous times.

Web/SQL Dev & 3D Artist

First of all. I would try using a patch made by someone else. And see if that fixes that red question mark thing. If not. I would delete cache and wtf folder and disable all addons and try again. If it does work with a patch made by someone else then it is most likely because you're using DBCUtil which honestly sucks. I have had problems with it in the past and it took me a really long time to figure out it was this stupid tool. So go with WDBX Editor or Stoneharry's Spell Editor to edit your dbc files.

Quote Originally Posted by Tok124 View Post
    First of all. I would try using a patch made by someone else. And see if that fixes that red question mark thing. If not. I would delete cache and wtf folder and disable all addons and try again. If it does work with a patch made by someone else then it is most likely because you're using DBCUtil which honestly sucks. I have had problems with it in the past and it took me a really long time to figure out it was this stupid tool. So go with WDBX Editor or Stoneharry's Spell Editor to edit your dbc files.
    I found this to be my problem.

Let's say I create a new item called wrath classic token and set the displayid to XXX and set it up in the DB and DBC. Well the game still shows the red question mark. If I do what most tutorials say and copy a working item and change the name and displayID than I still get red question mark issues. BUT, if i go back into EVERY mpq and change EVERY dbc that references that item displayID, it works. This means not only do my players need to download my MPQ but they need to download every other stock MPQ with the DBC edited. Fuck that!

Web/SQL Dev & 3D Artist

I found this to be my problem.

Let's say I create a new item called wrath classic token and set the displayid to XXX and set it up in the DB and DBC. Well the game still shows the red question mark. If I do what most tutorials say and copy a working item and change the name and displayID than I still get red question mark issues. BUT, if i go back into EVERY mpq and change EVERY dbc that references that item displayID, it works. This means not only do my players need to download my MPQ but they need to download every other stock MPQ with the DBC edited. Fuck that!
    That just sounds very strange... it works for me and everyone else... Must be something wrong with your client. Try delete cache and WTF folder and disable all addons and the problem will most likely be solved. If not, download a new wow client

Quote Originally Posted by Tok124 View Post
    That just sounds very strange... it works for me and everyone else... Must be something wrong with your client. Try delete cache and WTF folder and disable all addons and the problem will most likely be solved. If not, download a new wow client
    yes it pisses me off. I used OFFICIAL AC WEB core old and new and another core.
    I use the clean client from my website.

Is there some file i need to edit to tell wow what order to load the patches in, or something MPQ related?

You're doing it wrong then. There's nothing called "it doesn't work for me". This also has basically nothing to do with your core. Please try to read and understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathix View Post
    You're doing it wrong then. There's nothing called "it doesn't work for me". This also has basically nothing to do with your core. Please try to read and understand.
    i know what to do and it used to work but not anymore, I actually just tried a new repack a few mins ago. I edit the ITEM.DBC and the item shows up red question mark.

Web/SQL Dev & 3D Artist

i know what to do and it used to work but not anymore, I actually just tried a new repack a few mins ago. I edit the ITEM.DBC and the item shows up red question mark.
    I think the problem is either your MPQ Editor or your dbc file editor.
    Try use WDBX Editor and try make a folder patch instead of making an actual MPQ File.

To make a folder patch go in data folder and create a new folder call if example patch-X.MPQ then open this folder and create another folder called DBFilesClient. Open this folder and add in your dbc file.

If this method does work then its something wrong about your MPQ Editor. I have had problems with some versions of Ladik's MPQ Editor in the past. Some versions works and some versions doesn't. So first try folder patch. See if that works. If it doesn't work. Try edit the DBC using WDBX Editor.

Also check worldserver console and see if you have any dbc errors

Have you uploaded the new Item.dbc to your server DBC directory ? Have you cleared the cache ?
    If all of the above are satisfied, you may want to check DBError.log it will tell you what is wrong with that specific item.

Just generate a new item.dbc from item_template table and put that inside DBFilesClient folder in a custom patch.

Web/SQL Dev & 3D Artist

Quote Originally Posted by MrSolid View Post
    Just generate a new item.dbc from item_template table and put that inside DBFilesClient folder in a custom patch.
    That wouldn't be a good idea because there are some displayid's in item.dbc that does not have an item in item_template because its used by npc's so if you generate a new item.dbc from item_template some npcs will most likely either lose their weapon or have this blue/white checker box in the hand instead of a weapon, instead you can open the default MPQ Patches and grab the item.dbc from these MPQ Files and you have a fresh item.dbc