Welcome to AC Web.

How to get people to play in your server

REGISTER! (FREE)
    Registered members see less ads
    and also gain access to other great features.
    Hello guys i hope you are all doing well!

So my question is how do you actually get people to play in your server, i mean i see plenty of good server barely dead and a lot of fked up buggy servers still going on with 50-100 on everyday, i mean if you check top server sites i see a server called unilimited-wow i tryed it lots of people play there but the server is totaly messed up you know spells dont work that well soloable content is really not so soloable and then you find servers that have a nice concept and that you see they are really well developed with no people... is it advertising? how do you properly advertise your server?

There are several approaches to this subject. Undoubtedly, the best way to get players is by having friends to bring friends. Nothing beats that.
    This is not the case for many servers, so there are obviously alternative methods.

1. Top sites - as you mentioned, you check top server sites (topg, xtremetop, gtop100, etc) in order to find a server to play at. What people see first is most likely the server people will go to, which is why maintaining rank 1 (or having a decently positioned sponsorship ad) is critical. That being said, as a new server it will be extremely difficult to achieve, which opens up a market of "buying votes". I will not elaborate too much about it as I believe you can guess what that means by yourself.
    In order to get the most out of a single top site (legally or illegally), you need money. On topg alone I know buying rank 1 begins at $400 for a single month, often leading to sums way beyond that - a price the server you mentioned, Unlimited-WoW are willing to pay as it does provide solid results (as you said 50-100 players daily).

2. Hiring advertisers - many people claim they are advertisers who will ask for something in return. Either money or in-game materials that are equal to money, such as "the best gear on your server", or "max level character" or basically whatever. You get the point. From my questioning, they often claim to have a few "Discord servers of interested people" (no info beyond that is given). I do not know how accurate or how reliable that is, but I do know that's not a solid way.
    What I suspect they are doing - they get your money (or money-equal virtual assets) and just go to populated servers and advertise your server. I'll elaborate shortly.
    I have never encountered a reliable service that provides this and often was asked over $100 for the "basic package" of advertising.

3. Being a douchbag - logging into well-established servers and just spamming your server's link, name and a brief description.

4. Emulation sites - sites like AC-Web and its "competitors" have a section where you can advertise your server. Enlist why people should join you and how you are different from other people's servers. Often bears little to no results, but can be worth it if you intend to be persistent with it. I would not expect any traffic for the first few days to say the least.

5. Reddit - there's a subreddit called /wowservers. You can take a look at it at your free time. People often advertise there, you can get a "template" of what others write and format one of your own.

6. YouTubers - "Private Server X Review" on YouTube can bring you a list of results, each of these results is a YouTuber who is reviewing the server. Good feedback = more population. Negative feedback = can hurt the reputation. While it does not play a huge role, it can be the deciding aspect of a 1 player server or a 40 player server at the very least.

These are possible ways to GET PLAYERS, not to MAINTAIN PLAYERS. Maintaining an active playerbase is entirely bound to how good your server is. How stable it is, how buggy is it, if it's well balanced, if it is unique, if it's fun and so many more aspects.

I'm sure there are more ways I did not list here. Please note that I myself did not attempt to use all of these methods, but I would highly recommend sticking to topsites and listing your server on emulation sites & Reddit.
    Last edited by Zeraax; 03-17-2021 at 10:12 AM.

Web/SQL Dev & 3D Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Zeraax View Post
    There are several approaches to this subject. Undoubtedly, the best way to get players is by having friends to bring friends. Nothing beats that.
    This is not the case for many servers, so there are obviously alternative methods.

1. Top sites - as you mentioned, you check top server sites (topg, xtremetop, gtop100, etc) in order to find a server to play at. What people see first is most likely the server people will go to, which is why maintaining rank 1 (or having a decently positioned sponsorship ad) is critical. That being said, as a new server it will be extremely difficult to achieve, which opens up a market of "buying votes". I will not elaborate too much about it as I believe you can guess what that means by yourself.
    In order to get the most out of a single top site (legally or illegally), you need money. On topg alone I know buying rank 1 begins at $400 for a single month, often leading to sums way beyond that - a price the server you mentioned, Unlimited-WoW are willing to pay as it does provide solid results (as you said 50-100 players daily).

2. Hiring advertisers - many people claim they are advertisers who will ask for something in return. Either money or in-game materials that are equal to money, such as "the best gear on your server", or "max level character" or basically whatever. You get the point. From my questioning, they often claim to have a few "Discord servers of interested people" (no info beyond that is given). I do not know how accurate or how reliable that is, but I do know that's not a solid way.
    What I suspect they are doing - they get your money (or money-equal virtual assets) and just go to populated servers and advertise your server. I'll elaborate shortly.
    I have never encountered a reliable service that provides this and often was asked over $100 for the "basic package" of advertising.

3. Being a douchbag - logging into well-established servers and just spamming your server's link, name and a brief description.

4. Emulation sites - sites like AC-Web and its "competitors" have a section where you can advertise your server. Enlist why people should join you and how you are different from other people's servers. Often bears little to no results, but can be worth it if you intend to be persistent with it. I would not expect any traffic for the first few days to say the least.

5. Reddit - there's a subreddit called /wowservers. You can take a look at it at your free time. People often advertise there, you can get a "template" of what others write and format one of your own.

6. YouTubers - "Private Server X Review" on YouTube can bring you a list of results, each of these results is a YouTuber who is reviewing the server. Good feedback = more population. Negative feedback = can hurt the reputation. While it does not play a huge role, it can be the deciding aspect of a 1 player server or a 40 player server at the very least.

These are possible ways to GET PLAYERS, not to MAINTAIN PLAYERS. Maintaining an active playerbase is entirely bound to how good your server is. How stable it is, how buggy is it, if it's well balanced, if it is unique, if it's fun and so many more aspects.

I'm sure there are more ways I did not list here. Please note that I myself did not attempt to use all of these methods, but I would highly recommend sticking to topsites and listing your server on emulation sites & Reddit.
    This should honestly be a sticky post in server listing! Well done. This is indeed the best ways to get players on the server.
    And i could not avoid laughing at:

Thanks a lot of all the tips you gave !!!

The Grand Magi Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Zeraax View Post

Explained this extremely well.

I ask this because im planing on opening my own server soon, its already working on a VPS, website is already working all that but before i start the advertise part i want to make sure everything is working properly you know, and some times we think something is good and then a friend goes and trys it and says uhmmmmm i think you should this this and that and you are like uhmmmmmm this idea aint that bad lets kinda mix it hahah

You need money for advertising and for SEO. Good luck

I'm not sure how the private server scene is these days but I'd say the most important easy things you can do are youtube advertise videos and listing your server on every voting/top sites possible + reddit (keeping them always bumped). I wouldn't really go for any payed advertisement options yet and I'd even avoid getting a payed host, you should just host initially from home if you have that option. Scale things as the server gains traction (or not).

Boa sorte

visualsbysplicho.com🖌️🎨

Rule 1. Dont open a wow server.

running amongst ghouls ..

Thinking in assembly, dreaming in symbols, talking in API, living in real time.

REGISTER! (FREE)
    Registered members see less ads
    and also gain access to other great features.
    Quote Originally Posted by splicho View Post
    Rule 1. Dont open a wow server.
    There ...