Welcome to AC Web.
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    Question Is "Possession" Possible?


    REGISTER! (FREE)
    Registered members see less ads
    and also gain access to other great features.
    Last night, I watched the movie "The Exorcism of Emily Rose".


    The movie is based off of the true story of Annaliese Michel of Germany. She was said to be possessed by evil. From a scientific point of view it was said that she was an extreme epileptic with a little psychosis.

    After watching movie, I wanted to see how true it actually was. About 90% of the movie was true to the story. Many ruled Annaliese Michel to not be possessed.

    I think that it is extremely possible for this to be true. Her symptoms, (doctors also agreed), were not those of an epileptic or a psychosis patient. Doctors rationalized that it must be an odd cross between the two.

    Yes, maybe, but does this explain the fact that this... "thing"...was speaking a language that Annaliese didn't even know? Also, the last time I checked you can't scream in two different octaves simultaneously.


    Do you believe that you can become possessed?

    Discuss...

  2. #2
    You watch to much TV.

  3. #3
    I probably learn more watching TV than reading the twenty year old books they give us in school...

  4. #4
    The fact is that if Annaliese's parents didn't claim that she was possessed, her story would never have been known. Kinda like if you get really drunk and forget everything you did (including getting drunk) then nobody really cares... Unless you tell them that the reason you can't remember is because you were abducted by aliens! When the paranormal starts to come into things, it grabs peoples attention and helps them to exaggerate the truth.

    Her symptoms may not have been typical to an epileptic or psychotic person, but why should they limit it to just those two disorders? How do we know that she wasn't extremely psychosomatic? This would certainly explain a lot of the happenings in the movie.

    The "thing" talking and her not knowing languages? Well the only languages I "know" are English and Japanese, but I can quite happily make conversation in French, Maori, Spanish, and can say a few sentences in Swedish. You don't need to "know" a language to speak a few words. She could've read them from a book or heard somebody on the street speaking.

    Screaming at two different pitches - Shaolin (and even European) monks often do this. They train themselves to sing at fifth intervals which gives that church-y sound we have come to know today. Humans do actually have two sets of vocal cords, and you don't necessarily need special training to be able to use them.

    You can probably tell from my argument that I don't believe in possession, although I find it very interesting I can quite happily read a book or watch a movie about possession without scrutinising the whole thing.

    Joe

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by ProphetX View Post
    The fact is that if Annaliese's parents didn't claim that she was possessed, her story would never have been known. Kinda like if you get really drunk and forget everything you did (including getting drunk) then nobody really cares... Unless you tell them that the reason you can't remember is because you were abducted by aliens! When the paranormal starts to come into things, it grabs peoples attention and helps them to exaggerate the truth.

    Her symptoms may not have been typical to an epileptic or psychotic person, but why should they limit it to just those two disorders? How do we know that she wasn't extremely psychosomatic? This would certainly explain a lot of the happenings in the movie.

    The "thing" talking and her not knowing languages? Well the only languages I "know" are English and Japanese, but I can quite happily make conversation in French, Maori, Spanish, and can say a few sentences in Swedish. You don't need to "know" a language to speak a few words. She could've read them from a book or heard somebody on the street speaking.

    Screaming at two different pitches - Shaolin (and even European) monks often do this. They train themselves to sing at fifth intervals which gives that church-y sound we have come to know today. Humans do actually have two sets of vocal cords, and you don't necessarily need special training to be able to use them.

    You can probably tell from my argument that I don't believe in possession, although I find it very interesting I can quite happily read a book or watch a movie about possession without scrutinising the whole thing.

    Joe
    Kick-ass explanation Prophet!
    Last edited by chancer; 02-15-2009 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Misspelled prophet. Lol, I need to go back to 5th grade =P

  6. #6
    Remember

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Holland. 010
    Posts
    2,492
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyg69 View Post
    k xtavie bro your not fucking god dude stop acting like it like wuts up with all the fucking Intellectual Discussion shit like its stupid u crowd this forum with your fucking bullshit and its fucking a waste the worlds suposed to end in fucking 2012 if anything changes ill be sure to let you know ok so like fuck serious we dont end this shit your gonna die and your brain will go with you like seriously its fucking pissing me off
    Ok you dissapointed me there, thaught you where more mature.
    He has alot to tell and if it has a meaning it isnt considered as "Flooding"
    As i dont play World of Wacraft pretty much anymore i really like the conversations in the intelectual discussion, so please don't spoil the conversations.

    And to the topic again.
    Actually i do beleive someone can be possesed, but not if you have a strong will. I do beleive in god and everything that comes with that, but wy couldnt be something like being Possesed exist? Things are simple to stop, lets take as example a dissease, If people already think from the start: "Wtf I'm gonna die" they will probably die. But if someone has a strong will and believes in medication theres a big chance of surviving (Not saying everyone will survive with thinking it's gonna be alright before someone gets mad at me) People's "Will" is a great weapon against many things, just like trust. Possesion could exist but maybe she did some strange ritual before it...

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Ontox View Post
    Actually i do beleive someone can be possesed, but not if you have a strong will. I do beleive in god and everything that comes with that, but wy couldnt be something like being Possesed exist? Things are simple to stop, lets take as example a dissease, If people already think from the start: "Wtf I'm gonna die" they will probably die. But if someone has a strong will and believes in medication theres a big chance of surviving (Not saying everyone will survive with thinking it's gonna be alright before someone gets mad at me) People's "Will" is a great weapon against many things, just like trust. Possesion could exist but maybe she did some strange ritual before it...
    I counter your argument with two questions: What are the "things" that do the possessing and where do they come from?

  8. #8


    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    I Tightly Lock The Door I Try To Catch My Breath Again
    Posts
    2,440
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyg69 View Post
    k xtavie bro your not fucking god dude stop acting like it like wuts up with all the fucking Intellectual Discussion shit like its stupid u crowd this forum with your fucking bullshit and its fucking a waste the worlds suposed to end in fucking 2012 if anything changes ill be sure to let you know ok so like fuck serious we dont end this shit your gonna die and your brain will go with you like seriously its fucking pissing me off
    Agreed ....

  9. #9
    Remember

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Holland. 010
    Posts
    2,492
    Quote Originally Posted by ProphetX View Post
    I counter your argument with two questions: What are the "things" that do the possessing and where do they come from?
    Actually not so glad you ask, I don't know it Actually i dont wanna know it oO
    But if people spin a bottle and strange things happen to them, wy shouldnt this be able?
    This world is pretty strange but people dont think about it or are scared about it (2nd for me, I don't really like spiritual things )

  10. #10


    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    In my cardboard box. (MY cardboard box.)
    Posts
    160
    Actually i dont wanna know it oO
    Good answer.


    As for the topic, the subconscience acctually plays a big part in this one.
    Let's give you an example of how powerful it can be.

    Consider Lucky guesses. When you answer something that you followed a hunch on, More of a random shot in the dark, and got it right? You know the time where you didn't study for a test, and somehow, by a act of Deus ex mechanica, you were able to get a passing grade on it?

    Turns out your intuition is possibly smarter then you are. (Or at least can remember more)
    Oh nozes!

    In a study conducted with a functional MRI (Functional means something else then working, ) and a special test, revealed that your subconscience acctually recorded information and could store it much better then cognative capabilities.

    The test was easy enough. Subjects were shown a series of words in colors. They had to memorize the words and their colors, that way when shown the words colorless, they could relate to the color that was given originally.
    1/2 of the test was like this.

    The other half was the same thing, but with numbers. They made a point to ask the subject to memorize the numbers appearing, while the color and words thing was running like normal. As a result, all subjects payed less attention to the words and colors, and more to the numbers.

    When the questioning came, they all scored higher on the parts that they had not payed attention to, and that the subconscience was recording.
    When asked about their choises on the other side of the test, (the one they did not pay attention to, all of them said they had done lucky guesses.)

    Is random really random? Or is it more selective then you realize?

    Point is the subconscience can acctually do and prossess a lot more then you can think about. If we use only 10% of our power, the subconsience uses the other 90%. It can recreate memories, recreate a whole new personality, create nessesities, artificials worlds, ect. (Disassociative fugue, Disassociative personification, objective-compulsive, dreaming. For people wondering where the hell I'm spouting this stuff. >:] )

    Remembering phrases heard somewhere on TV, or from a freind elsewhere, even if it was years ago, is not something i doubt the subconscience can do.
    And like X said, humans can use multiple vocal cords.

    This world is gigantic, there has to be a bit of everything, even the extreams. The mind has infinate capibilities, I'm suprized there are only a few thousand mental problems in this world. But I'd expect new cases are arriving every day or so. They are just not as interesting a case to prossess.

    Point is, I'm not suprised a case like that arrived. I am suprised it took that long to document a case like that.
    Last edited by The Digital Skystrider; 02-18-2009 at 04:21 PM.

  11. #11
    Oberkommando

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    My shed
    Posts
    12,285
    This is pretty much useless imo =/

  12. #12
    Possessions happen every single day and night, but damn your cringe yellow letters are giving way too much eye cancer

  13. #13
    this is giving us cancer, pls die

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by JunkyBulgaria View Post
    this is giving us cancer, pls die
    what are you trying to hide? are you trying to give us cancer?

  15. #15
    Banned

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    47

    REGISTER! (FREE)
    Registered members see less ads
    and also gain access to other great features.
    I gave my soul to a jewish girl.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •