Welcome to AC Web.

Question Server Online with my own domain?

REGISTER! (FREE)
    Registered members see less ads
    and also gain access to other great features.
    Hi.

I have always had that question. Now I have a server on my computer, is online, but I have it working with the free domain offered by non-ip.

How do I have my own domain example: www.acwebserve.com connected to the server on my computer.

I have several domains on Domain.com but to make them work, I need two dns, dns that offers by a hosting company, but in my case that I have the server is on my computer, how can I do it?

Do you know any tutorial that explains this?

Thanks.

Just change dns records at rhe hosting company to you’re external ip from you’re pc

Quote Originally Posted by Nightseye View Post
    Just change dns records at rhe hosting company to you’re external ip from you’re pc
    Normally, to link the domain to a hosting, two DNS is needed and my computer only has an eternal IP. Really there are no guide for this? I already saw some videos of how to configure xampp, but they don't explain everything.

I think, it's not exactly the same case, but perhaps you could use it:

I've got a dns of non-ip for my smarthomehcontrol.
    It depends on the internetconnection you use, i think:

In my case i got a fritzbox to get my connection, so my dns of non-ip leads from web to my fritzbox! Now i had to tell my fritzbox with port-forwarting (all what comes in from my dns) to lead it to my smarthomeserver -- or in your case to your gameserver i think!

So in which way do you connect to the internet? Perhaps your router has to lead the other way around, because your dns only gets to your router?

So, there are a few things you'll have to know before you start this.

First, you cannot host your server if you're behind a double NAT due to another firewall blocking the traffic before it hits your own firewall/router.

Second, you said something with domains needing multiple DNS servers setup. That's simply just false. You need atleast 1 DNS server, the reason you see some domains having multiple DNS servers setup is simply due to redundancy, in case one of the servers goes down.

-

So, with those two points out of the way, let's make your server publicly available with your own domain name.

First, let's make sure that you're not double NATed:
    1. Open up your command prompt by holding down the windows key, and pressing "R". Type in "cmd" without quotes and hit "enter".

2. Type the following command into the prompt: "tracert 8.8.8.8" and hit enter.
    2.1 What the above command does is giving back a list of all the internet ports your request goes through from your home network to Google.
    2.2 Now, the first hop should be the private IP which are currently assigned to your PC. This should look like one of the following (replace x with a number between 0 and 255)
    2.2.1 192.168.x.x
    2.2.2 192.168.x.x
    2.2.3 172.x.x.x
    2.2.4 10.x.x.x
    2.3 second hop should look like any of the above ip addresses, but ending in either 1 or 255, eg. 192.168.0.1. This is your router.
    2.4 Now, if the THIRD hop looks like any of the above IP addresses, you can stop right here. You're behind a double NAT and won't be able to host anything.

Now that we've verified that you're not behind a double NAT, let's go ahead and continue.
    1. Login to your domain registrars website. The registrar is the company from which you purchased your domain, eg. namecheap.com
    2. In the control panel, find something that looks like DNS/DNS Settings/something else relevant to DNS (could also be called Zones)
    3. Once you found the correct page you should see a list of already registered DNS records (if any has been set up).
    4. Get your public IP by going to https://whatsmyip.com/. Copy the IP into your clipboard.
    5. For the sake of this tutorial I'm gonna use login.example.com as you domain, notice we have "login" in front. That's a sub-domain, you can have infinitely many sub-domains on a domain. Just expands on what you can do with your domain
    6. Let's make an "A record" for your server:
    6.1 Since i don't know which registrar you're using, I'll just guess how the DNS configuration is setup.
    6.2 You should see a button/link that lets you add a new DNS record, click that.
    6.3 Now, you need to use the following settings for the DNS record:
    6.3.1 Type: A Record
    6.3.2 TTL: 1 hour (or 60 minutes or 3600 seconds, depending on what you can choose/type)
    6.3.3 Name: login.example.com
    6.3.4 Value: The public IP we copied earlier
    6.3.5 Save the new configuration.

That's it. Your home network are now open to your public, by pinging/nslookup login.example.com you should be able to get a respons from your home router (if response to ICMP has been enabled).

Now we need to make the packets actually flow from the router to the correct PC that hosts the login/game service.
    7.1 Login to your router (There are thousands of different router models, and not all are the same. So you'll have to Google your router model administration login to know exactly what to do).
    7.2 Now we need to portforward.
    7.2.1 While inside the Router Configuration webpage look for something that says "Port Forwarding" (it might could also be located under "advanced", or it could be called "Routing Policies").
    7.3 Go back to the command prompt and type in "ipconfig" without quotes.
    7.3.1 Look for the interface you'll be using (typically called something like "Ethernet adapter Ethernet X" where X is a number)
    7.3.2 Write down the IPv4 address
    7.4 Going back to your port forwarding webpage for your router you'll need to make a few new rules (Since you didn't mention what architecture / core you're using, I'll just make a guess and say TrinityCore):
    7.4.1 Game Server Setup
    7.4.2 Port: 8085
    7.4.3 Type: TCP
    7.4.4 Destination: The IP we copied before
    7.4.5 Login Server
    7.4.6 Port: 3724
    7.4.7 Type: TCP
    7.4.8 Destination: The IP we copied before
    7.5 Save and close down the webpage, all packets to port 8085 and 3724 are now being send to your PC

Phew, that was long. Now all that's left is for you to update your realmlist.wtf to use your domain login.example.com
    You might also have to change the realmlist IPs in your core (In trinityCore it's done in the Database, don't have one handy so i can't tell you exactly which table it is)

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to write back to me, I'll gladly help

@Inamsay

How do you manage to use two domain names in order to make a connection? The whole point of a domain name is to convert something easy for humans to read/use (i.e. words) into an IP address. Just have the domain point to the correct IP and you should be good to go.

This sounds to me like you are not using the correct domain record type. You need an A record (or AAAA record if using IPv6).

So, there are a few things you'll have to know before you start this.

First, you cannot host your server if you're behind a double NAT due to another firewall blocking the traffic before it hits your own firewall/router.

Second, you said something with domains needing multiple DNS servers setup. That's simply just false. You need atleast 1 DNS server, the reason you see some domains having multiple DNS servers setup is simply due to redundancy, in case one of the servers goes down.

-

So, with those two points out of the way, let's make your server publicly available with your own domain name.

First, let's make sure that you're not double NATed:
    1. Open up your command prompt by holding down the windows key, and pressing "R". Type in "cmd" without quotes and hit "enter".

2. Type the following command into the prompt: "tracert 8.8.8.8" and hit enter.
    2.1 What the above command does is giving back a list of all the internet ports your request goes through from your home network to Google.
    2.2 Now, the first hop should be the private IP which are currently assigned to your PC. This should look like one of the following (replace x with a number between 0 and 255)
    2.2.1 192.168.x.x
    2.2.2 192.168.x.x
    2.2.3 172.x.x.x
    2.2.4 10.x.x.x
    2.3 second hop should look like any of the above ip addresses, but ending in either 1 or 255, eg. 192.168.0.1. This is your router.
    2.4 Now, if the THIRD hop looks like any of the above IP addresses, you can stop right here. You're behind a double NAT and won't be able to host anything.

Now that we've verified that you're not behind a double NAT, let's go ahead and continue.
    1. Login to your domain registrars website. The registrar is the company from which you purchased your domain, eg. namecheap.com
    2. In the control panel, find something that looks like DNS/DNS Settings/something else relevant to DNS (could also be called Zones)
    3. Once you found the correct page you should see a list of already registered DNS records (if any has been set up).
    4. Get your public IP by going to https://whatsmyip.com/. Copy the IP into your clipboard.
    5. For the sake of this tutorial I'm gonna use login.example.com as you domain, notice we have "login" in front. That's a sub-domain, you can have infinitely many sub-domains on a domain. Just expands on what you can do with your domain
    6. Let's make an "A record" for your server:
    6.1 Since i don't know which registrar you're using, I'll just guess how the DNS configuration is setup.
    6.2 You should see a button/link that lets you add a new DNS record, click that.
    6.3 Now, you need to use the following settings for the DNS record:
    6.3.1 Type: A Record
    6.3.2 TTL: 1 hour (or 60 minutes or 3600 seconds, depending on what you can choose/type)
    6.3.3 Name: login.example.com
    6.3.4 Value: The public IP we copied earlier
    6.3.5 Save the new configuration.

That's it. Your home network are now open to your public, by pinging/nslookup login.example.com you should be able to get a respons from your home router (if response to ICMP has been enabled).

Now we need to make the packets actually flow from the router to the correct PC that hosts the login/game service.
    7.1 Login to your router (There are thousands of different router models, and not all are the same. So you'll have to Google your router model administration login to know exactly what to do).
    7.2 Now we need to portforward.
    7.2.1 While inside the Router Configuration webpage look for something that says "Port Forwarding" (it might could also be located under "advanced", or it could be called "Routing Policies").
    7.3 Go back to the command prompt and type in "ipconfig" without quotes.
    7.3.1 Look for the interface you'll be using (typically called something like "Ethernet adapter Ethernet X" where X is a number)
    7.3.2 Write down the IPv4 address
    7.4 Going back to your port forwarding webpage for your router you'll need to make a few new rules (Since you didn't mention what architecture / core you're using, I'll just make a guess and say TrinityCore):
    7.4.1 Game Server Setup
    7.4.2 Port: 8085
    7.4.3 Type: TCP
    7.4.4 Destination: The IP we copied before
    7.4.5 Login Server
    7.4.6 Port: 3724
    7.4.7 Type: TCP
    7.4.8 Destination: The IP we copied before
    7.5 Save and close down the webpage, all packets to port 8085 and 3724 are now being send to your PC

Phew, that was long. Now all that's left is for you to update your realmlist.wtf to use your domain login.example.com
    You might also have to change the realmlist IPs in your core (In trinityCore it's done in the Database, don't have one handy so i can't tell you exactly which table it is)

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to write back to me, I'll gladly help

You can open Cpanel and go to DNS Zone editor, add an "A Record" ex: logon.yourhost.com and point it to your IP Address (realm ip) and then wait for propagation to complete. done

Quote Originally Posted by Corelith View Post
    I think, it's not exactly the same case, but perhaps you could use it:

I've got a dns of non-ip for my smarthomehcontrol.
    It depends on the internetconnection you use, i think:

In my case i got a fritzbox to get my connection, so my dns of non-ip leads from web to my fritzbox! Now i had to tell my fritzbox with port-forwarting (all what comes in from my dns) to lead it to my smarthomeserver -- or in your case to your gameserver i think!

So in which way do you connect to the internet? Perhaps your router has to lead the other way around, because your dns only gets to your router?
    I know how to use noip and open ports, I currently have servers working with noip subdomains, but I want to use my own domain example www.corelith.com and not www.corelith.servegame.com

Quote Originally Posted by MyLilSuccy View Post
    @Inamsay

How do you manage to use two domain names in order to make a connection? The whole point of a domain name is to convert something easy for humans to read/use (i.e. words) into an IP address. Just have the domain point to the correct IP and you should be good to go.

This sounds to me like you are not using the correct domain record type. You need an A record (or AAAA record if using IPv6).
    Thanks for the information, I think this part of using a record A instead of the two DNS is what I didn't know. I will try and tell you if it worked or not.

REGISTER! (FREE)
    Registered members see less ads
    and also gain access to other great features.
    Quote Originally Posted by MyLilSuccy View Post
    @Inamsay
    This sounds to me like you are not using the correct domain record type. You need an A record.
    You were right, I just create a DNS record type A with the public IP of my computer and it works perfect. That step was what I was missing. Thank you