Welcome to AC Web.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1

    [Show Off] Dynamic Item Upgrade System


    REGISTER! (FREE)
    Registered members see less ads
    and also gain access to other great features.
    Hey everyone!

    I've seen a few item upgrade systems throughout the past, most of them using the "Lets spam the damn item_template with tons of new items" method, and I found that to be a really inefficient way of doing this.

    So this is my take on it, utilizing packets and a swift and easy database to ingame UI framework.

    Almost everything in the video is controlled by either config or database values!

    Even players wearing the same items can build them into two completely different items! With transmog involved, it'll act 100% as two different items.




    Hope you guys like it!

    -- Vincent Vanclef

  2. #2


    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Security supervisor
    Posts
    953
    This is pretty cool.

    Well done.

  3. #3

  4. #4
    And what if a player inspects that player when they have the same items?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ckabot View Post
    And what if a player inspects that player when they have the same items?
    Thats what you can see in the video. I inspected my alt character and they are wearing the exact same items.

    On inspecting the core sends the player who is inspecting, his targets item info to him. Client automatically updates and shows your targets items. After you are done inspecting, clicking your own portrait tells the server to re-update your client with your own item info again. Its done around the middle of the video if you notice the descriptions changing It shows who's owning the information you are seeing
    Last edited by Soulblast; 03-19-2019 at 01:27 PM.

  6. #6
    Interesting, impressive.

    Combines a bit of everything! Well done mate!

  7. #7
    <NovusCore>

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    https://github.com/novuscore/NovusCore
    Posts
    3,392
    Pretty easy to make, but nice either way I suppose

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Blade View Post
    Pretty easy to make, but nice either way I suppose
    He didn't ask you to compare your knowledge to his.

    Nice work OP.

  9. #9
    <NovusCore>

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    https://github.com/novuscore/NovusCore
    Posts
    3,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Quadral View Post
    He didn't ask you to compare your knowledge to his.

    Nice work OP.
    I wasn't comparing knowledge, he stated making another item in item_template was inefficient, and my interpretation of his statement was that he was trying to signal that it was a fancy super efficient method that was harder to make.

    Surely you're not against freedom of speech or being able to have an opinion / different interpretation than yourself?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Blade View Post
    I wasn't comparing knowledge, he stated making another item in item_template was inefficient, and my interpretation of his statement was that he was trying to signal that it was a fancy super efficient method that was harder to make.

    Surely you're not against freedom of speech or being able to have an opinion / different interpretation than yourself?
    You come to every thread with a holier than thou attitude, despite multiple people calling you out for being shitty at programming. Be more humble in life, you’ll probably enjoy it more.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Blade View Post
    I wasn't comparing knowledge, he stated making another item in item_template was inefficient, and my interpretation of his statement was that he was trying to signal that it was a fancy super efficient method that was harder to make.

    Surely you're not against freedom of speech or being able to have an opinion / different interpretation than yourself?
    Modifying the world template while the server is running is bad practice, it should only be reloaded. Also flooding item template with tons of custom entries will create a lot of useless data and make the table hella annoying to browse through and maintain who owns what. So yes this is a much better way. Also modifying a packet is easy yes, but i would like to see you replicate my system then.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Quadral View Post
    He didn't ask you to compare your knowledge to his.

    Nice work OP.

    Thanks man!
    Last edited by Soulblast; 03-19-2019 at 04:34 PM.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Blade View Post
    I wasn't comparing knowledge, he stated making another item in item_template was inefficient, and my interpretation of his statement was that he was trying to signal that it was a fancy super efficient method that was harder to make.

    Surely you're not against freedom of speech or being able to have an opinion / different interpretation than yourself?
    You're not wrong, everyone is permitted to use freedom of speech. Although it is handy to have self-awareness and when to know your opinion/perspective shouldn't be expressed publicly.

    I'm not sure how your brain manages to transform innocent sentences into the complete opposite of the meaning.

  13. #13


    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Security supervisor
    Posts
    953
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Blade View Post
    Pretty easy to make, but nice either way I suppose
    I'd love to see you replicate this.

    It's not as easy as you'd think.

  14. #14
    <NovusCore>

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    https://github.com/novuscore/NovusCore
    Posts
    3,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Quadral View Post
    You're not wrong, everyone is permitted to use freedom of speech. Although it is handy to have self-awareness and when to know your opinion/perspective shouldn't be expressed publicly.

    I'm not sure how your brain manages to transform innocent sentences into the complete opposite of the meaning.
    I have aspergers, in other words I'm not fully functional in the social department.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mallor View Post
    I'd love to see you replicate this.

    It's not as easy as you'd think.
    Modifying a packet? Loading data into a cache to be used when sending the results? Yes very difficult.

    OP did "good" work, I was simply pointing out that it wasn't as complicated as OP made me interpret it, my intention was not to be an ass.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Soulblast View Post
    Modifying the world template while the server is running is bad practice, it should only be reloaded. Also flooding item template with tons of custom entries will create a lot of useless data and make the table hella annoying to browse through and maintain who owns what. So yes this is a much better way. Also modifying a packet is easy yes, but i would like to see you replicate my system then.
    I assume with world template you're talking about the locally cached data for the worldserver and yeah you're 100% correct about that. I unfortunately do not have time currently to "replicate" your system and I don't see a need for it, I'm working on a particularly daunting project where I allocate most of my time
    Either way as I've stated before, my intention was not to be an ass even if thats how it came out.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    You come to every thread with a holier than thou attitude, despite multiple people calling you out for being shitty at programming. Be more humble in life, you’ll probably enjoy it more.
    If you live your life by others opinions, you will only restrict yourself I don't need somebody else to evaluate my skills, I'm fully aware of my capabilities as a programmer and I do not fall in the "incapable" part of the spectrum
    Last edited by Lightning Blade; 03-19-2019 at 08:28 PM.

  15. #15

    REGISTER! (FREE)
    Registered members see less ads
    and also gain access to other great features.
    Very nice work man! Looks awesome, very interresting indeed.

    ~Frathir

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •