Welcome to AC Web.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Diablo like wow server

REGISTER! (FREE)
    Registered members see less ads
    and also gain access to other great features.
    Making this thread to get constructive feedback. Maybe a bit more than "good luck"

I have this child dream to make a diablo like item randomizations for wow. I know retail has it already, that is why i'm here, maybe people have great ideas.

What i have until now is a "greater rift" like instance progression system. The higher the instance the better item it drops. Ofc the difficulty will scale a bit faster than the drop rate to make the instances too hard to handle after a good while. I live by the hope that this would bring back competition between guilds and lucky players

My question is what kinda item randomization would you create if you could create any item randomization. If you can not scale the effect with difficulty, it can have a dynamic "appearance chance".

Here is dumb screenshot of borring old stats. Apart from the old 70, already existing stats, what else would you add ? ( preferably not +dmg ones ) Balsie enough to say i could make any stat work. Create new functional builds. New mechanics...

ps. I gave up on the hope this will be balanced. Most probably it will be for PVE.
    Thanks !
    Last edited by Tudi; 02-28-2019 at 09:07 PM.

A dagger that gives armor,
    shit, give me 5 I wear them as head, shoulder, chest, gloves and pants.

ayeee,
    just kidding, nice work don't give up bro it looks awesome

Never played diablo but this idea is interesting and looks cool. (And definitely unique)

Keep in mind tho, you don't just need "cool ideas" you also need fun content, I've already played on a bunch of custom servers which had cool ideas but got so boring they lost more than 80% of their player base.

Quote Originally Posted by Project2k14 View Post
    Never played diablo but this idea is interesting and looks cool. (And definitely unique)

Keep in mind tho, you don't just need "cool ideas" you also need fun content, I've already played on a bunch of custom servers which had cool ideas but got so boring they lost more than 80% of their player base.
    I'm aware of this issue, that is why i'm hoping to gather item stats that would represent the "fun" part : makes afk people dance around you, or get them drunk .... xD Only when i have enough cool stats i would consider launching it as a realm

Im talking about gameplay, not just funny stats

Quote Originally Posted by Tudi View Post
    ps. I gave up on the hope this will be balanced. Most probably it will be for PVE.
    Thanks !
    Why would someone look for balance?
    Games like these will never be balanced. It's like looking for perfection in things bro.
    Perfection is fiction, just do it your way.
    Then "balance" will be if something op, nerf. If something nerfed, buff.

This post is about WoW 3.3.5. I don't know if this limitations are still on newer versions of the game. I know that some of these limitations don't exist on older versions of the game.

I already thought about a server like that. Multiple times.
    There are a few technical limitations in the WoW client which we can't really change because we don't have the sourcecode of it.
    You'll find yourself in these situations if you start developing a diablo like server.

a) There is a limit of items you can have because the client only loads items up to a specific ID. This means you can only have up to {limit} items at the same time.

The random items can be done via two ways:

1. Pre-generate all items for the client (every single one with every single different stat etc.). This leads to the following problems:
    b) Because of problem a you will reach a limit sooner or later. You have to delete items that nobody owns and hope that you never run out of IDs.

2. Random generate items on the server during the normal gameplay which leads to the following problems:
    c) The client needs a few informations which it doesn't accept from the server and only loads from it's DBC files (to be exact: ItemClass, ItemSubClass, sound_override_subclassid, MaterialID, ItemDisplayInfo, InventorySlotID, SheathID which i learned during creating BetterItemReloading for AzerothCore).

Now you can think: Then i pre-generate one item for each of this options available and just update the stats on it during the drop (which means every item that is based on the pre-generated item is based on the same id which is relevant for the item cache on clientside).
    On drop you send the item stats to the player that got the item which means you refresh the item cache on clientside.

Now there is a new problem: Not all clients know about the new stats on that item because they still have the old item in the item cache!
    If the player posts that item to the chat or someone else checks his EQ, he will just see the pre-generated item without stats (or whatever version is in his item cache right now).

Now you think: Ok, then i'll update it for every player on drop! But wait! Not that fast...
    What happens if player b also has an item which comes from the same pre-generated item?
    You will overwrite his stats aswell. Suddenly player b will see the stats of player a's item that just dropped even though player b has different stats on them.

Now you think: Ok, i'll update the item cache on clientside everytime a player acts with that item in any way!
    Here comes problem d:
    d) You can't react to all kinds of events where a player acts with that item. A player opening his inventory with the B button doesn't send anything to the server which means you will never be able to react to that event.

Which all leads to:
    If you can life with some drawbacks (e.g. player sometimes sees the wrong stats on his item), you can do such a server! Yay! Don't forget to implement all the item cache refreshes and think about a new table in the database which stores the item stats of your new "sub-items"(?). If you did all of this: Feel free to message me! I'd love to test one of these weird concepts that i had in my head but never finished!

(Little bonus: With Rochet2's AIO you can probably catch all the leftover events like opening the inventory or hovering the mouse over item A and then over item B while both items are based on the same pre-generated item and such funny things! Yay, fun! But that would mean that you have to refresh the item cache everytime you hover over an item in your inventory.. -10 performance points for that solution i guess. Maybe anyone here has a better idea?)

Sorry for the wall of text, i hope it was at least informative for some of you guys.

EDIT: Also adding entirely new stats will probably not be that easy if maybe not possible at all (without countless hours of reverse engineering the WoW client) depending on how the WoW client reads and displays the stat stuff.. But i don't know much about that one. Maybe it's possible through simple DBC editing but i don't think so.
    Last edited by Kaev; 02-04-2019 at 03:57 PM.

@Kaev yep, i tried all thiose about 5 years ago, this time i try it differently . Implemented servers side "push update" for client for each item stat. The result ?

If you really intend to walk with me on this journey, feel free to catch me on discord : https://discordapp.com/channels/4118...37095422984195
    Last edited by Tudi; 02-05-2019 at 04:02 PM.

updated first post with stats so far. Maybe someone gets inspired and adds new ones to the list

Wasn't you an admin on WoWBeeZ?

Just a dev, back than i was creating random items on EPL realm. But the system was limited. This time i'm fulfilling my dream

- - - Updated - - -

yaaay, someone actually backs the idea, extended character frame addon to show some of the new stats. Still not late to join the party

I fucking love this idea.

started working on blanacing. feel free to drop by and check status and stuff : https://discord.gg/Xcz86C7

REGISTER! (FREE)
    Registered members see less ads
    and also gain access to other great features.
    Pretty Cool!