Welcome to AC Web.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Innovation & Emulation

REGISTER! (FREE)
    Registered members see less ads
    and also gain access to other great features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breezicreaf View Post
    Well you can pretty much translate it to the real world. The bigger servers have become bigger, and the small fish dies out. There isn't the same demand for different niche servers anymore as there used to be. If you want to have succes with a custom server now days, you will need to be unique and have well developed content. You can no longer spawn a bunch of creatures around dark portal, add some haste script and high stats and expect people to come and play.

Another important thing is that the playerbase for 3.3.5 servers have matured. People who perhaps used to be 13-15 years old playing these servers are now in their 20s. They expect more of a server, more complexity. They no longer get satisfied with looting a random trinket from a world boss that has absurd amount of random stats and looks like something that was just implemented through a large one query.

This is ofcourse just my opinion on it, but i think what we are seeing is the bigger becoming bigger, and the smaller fishs having a hard time to establish unless they truely are unique.
    This exactly.

Adding to the point about people growing up; it is exactly the same for the developers. People who were doing it as a hobbie in their teenage years now have more busy lives and jobs, often working in a computer related industry.

Furthermore WoW is a really old game now. Retail is way less popular than it used to be, the emu community follows same trends. Less young people are playing WoW, who are the people with the most free time. There has been a relatively recent massive spike due to the demand for vanilla servers and it gaining popularity on reddit.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneharry View Post
    This exactly.

Adding to the point about people growing up; it is exactly the same for the developers. People who were doing it as a hobbie in their teenage years now have more busy lives and jobs, often working in a computer related industry.

Furthermore WoW is a really old game now. Retail is way less popular than it used to be, the emu community follows same trends. Less young people are playing WoW, who are the people with the most free time. There has been a relatively recent massive spike due to the demand for vanilla servers and it gaining popularity on reddit.
    Finally some truth what I guessed it happens.

A complete distaste for the way WoW is going forward is pushing me to finally look into private servers. I hate leveling in its current state and scaling in general has pushed me away from the game altogether for nearly a year. I miss the game and I'm looking into putting something together for just family and friends pre-7.3.5... not necessarily anything public. If classic is attached to a subscription as announced, along with the piss poor direction of the game, with its massive hemorrhage of subs continuing I think you'll find further interest in private servers for the same reason I'm here.

there is servers for the latest expansion. i downloaded a repack myself. blizzard however is more aggressive than initially and therefore, many of the online servers have died.

Content should be high quality. Most servers can't do such things.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneharry View Post
    This exactly.

This is exactly what has happened. So, I guess what I'm wondering is what happens next? When will emulation be dead?

It seems they have less life these days with the fall of the once great eternion wow.

it is not dead but, many people decide to leave and some gets killed by blizzard. i know that they killed the web master of blackstorm.
    Last edited by andreasaspenberg; 08-17-2019 at 07:46 AM.

it's not completely dead .. it left only TrinityCore (BFA) and some ppl who still working on mangos (1.12,tbc and woltk)
    But if you compare from past you will seen how dead is emulation scene now.. one example - classic is going to be release soon and no one even attempt to start working on open surce or closed emu ( i don't count fabian classic sanbox .. he won't release anything of his work as far as i know )

there is plenty of classic servers already. there is no reason to create a new one for wow classic.

Emulation is not dead, just people stopped sharing their content to leechers whom have no idea how stuff is made after what they open a private server on behalf of someone else's work.

I believe some people just like solo with their friend for roleplay

REGISTER! (FREE)
    Registered members see less ads
    and also gain access to other great features.
    Fucking ded game