Welcome to AC Web.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

World of Warcraft 2D

REGISTER! (FREE)
    Registered members see less ads
    and also gain access to other great features.
    Hello, everyone!

Blog: https://wow2d.wordpress.com/
    Discord: Discord

I'm posting to announce a passion-project I'm working on, WoW-2D. WoW-2D is essentially a project with the goal of re-creating the vanilla World of Warcraft experience in 2-D. WoW-2D is nothing more than a passion project and it's something that, over time, I'm very confident I can complete, start to finish. I have no worry as to whether or not there is a market for a 2-D World of Warcraft, quite the opposite. Being this a passion project, I'm hoping that it will be something that people can poke fun at and enjoy at the same time.

I started the project on August 21 of this year and, in my opinion, I have made a nice bit of progress. I am building WoW-2D using Slick2D for the engine and Kryonet for the netcode. I didn't feel the need to build my own engine from the ground up as I've been messing around in Slick2D for quite some time and after thinking about it, Slick will do what I'll need it to, at least for the foreseeable future. I also have a decent amount of experience in general programming, specifically in C# and Java.

In terms of the project, I am currently the sole developer and artist and would love to work with a small team, if anyone is interested/has experience. Personally, I'd prefer artists more than anything as my pixel art skills are absolutely horrid. Unfortunately, as of right now, I am unable to pay anyone for their work but if anyone might share the fun-loving passion for WoW that I do, I think it could be a fun adventure!

If anyone is interested in working with me on this or would just like to follow the progress, please reply to this post and/or follow the link above to the blog.

Regards,
    Xolitude
    Last edited by SolitudeGaming; 10-01-2018 at 11:29 PM.

Cool project! I'm not sure how the gameplay will work out in 2D, but i hope we'll be able to see that in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaev View Post
    Cool project! I'm not sure how the gameplay will work out in 2D, but i hope we'll be able to see that in the future.
    I have some ideas for that. Obviously, it will indeed be quite different at a fundamental level which could be hard to get used to but that's to be expected. I'm just hoping it won't be too clunky when I do begin to implement systems such as combat and all that.

Thank you for the kind words

is anything done except the black screen?

Quote Originally Posted by Marko2 View Post
    is anything done except the black screen?
    Besides the login screen, yes:

• Character Creation
    • Character Selecting
    • Entering World
    • Basic MP Aspects (Chatting, Sync, Animations, etc)

You're welcome to view the Update Archive to see what has been done thus far, more in-depth.
    Last edited by SolitudeGaming; 10-03-2018 at 12:10 AM.

interesting project

Quote Originally Posted by Ckabot View Post
    interesting project
    Thanks!

WoW-2D is now open-source on GitHub! To view the code and further follow development, follow this link.

If you're doing everything from scratch and using a language like java you should at least look into automatic packet serialization, so you don't have to manually serialize the fields of every message, but you simply populate the object fields, call a Send() method and on the receiving end the data is used to create an object.

you can use JSON to do this (it works well with java) but if you want a binary protocol you can look at libraries such as Protobufs.

Quote Originally Posted by hates_sundays View Post
    If you're doing everything from scratch and using a language like java you should at least look into automatic packet serialization, so you don't have to manually serialize the fields of every message, but you simply populate the object fields, call a Send() method and on the receiving end the data is used to create an object.

you can use JSON to do this (it works well with java) but if you want a binary protocol you can look at libraries such as Protobufs.
    As I said in the OP, I am using Slick2D for the engine and Kryonet (which serializes class-objects).
    EDIT: I will look into them in the future Thank you!

cd ..

Quote Originally Posted by SolitudeGaming View Post
    WoW-2D is now open-source on GitHub! To view the code and further follow development, follow this link.
    Hey! Don't suppress your exceptions at such a low layer! Looking at the DB stuff. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Zaxer View Post
    Hey! Don't suppress your exceptions at such a low layer! Looking at the DB stuff. :-)
    Interesting; What do you mean by, "low layer?"

Also, I appreciate the feedback

cd ..

Quote Originally Posted by SolitudeGaming View Post
    Interesting; What do you mean by, "low layer?"

Also, I appreciate the feedback
    By lower layer I mean code that writes/reads data.

In your DB.java, instead of rethrowing the exceptions you write them to log and return false (for checking if an account exists, for example), which isn't really best practice. Throw them upwards so that they can be handled accordingly. If doesAccountExist() is called and the connection to MySQL fails, then the upper layers will think it doesn't, when we in fact don't know. :-)

REGISTER! (FREE)
    Registered members see less ads
    and also gain access to other great features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaxer View Post
    By lower layer I mean code that writes/reads data.

In your DB.java, instead of rethrowing the exceptions you write them to log and return false (for checking if an account exists, for example), which isn't really best practice. Throw them upwards so that they can be handled accordingly. If doesAccountExist() is called and the connection to MySQL fails, then the upper layers will think it doesn't, when we in fact don't know. :-)
    I think I understand what you mean. The only way I can think of fixing that is loading all of the users upon startup as opposed to accessing the database each time a user connects. Do you have a better method in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Limit View Post
    Cool Idea.
    Thanks, Limit