Welcome to AC Web.

[Show-Off][WIP] Jungle Themed Island -Contest-

REGISTER! (FREE)
    Registered members see less ads
    and also gain access to other great features.
    Hello fellow AC-Webbers,

Last friday me and another Noggit-dev went head to head on a mission to create a jungle themed island. After 5 hours this is what I came up with. There is no additional details added as groundeffects, smaller doodads, etc to make it more wild and alive. So this is just a show-off what can be done in 5 hours.

I think the map is missing the actual theme. The troll elements and the too shallow spread vegetation make it look more like a close-to-desert map, rather than a jungle. Just go nuts with the trees and vegetation.
    You tried to hide as much landscape as possible behind giant map objects that also replicate alot of BfA's troll theme rather than being a jungle. Don't be too afraid to go insane with green stuff. A jungle is suposed to be crowded and wild while those screenshots look more like a giant temple instead. Also a mix between older models is also a bit more refrehsing instead of going with all new-models all the time.
    If you wanna stick with the troll theme, you might take a look at Zul'Gurub and Stranglethorn to get more ideas how to create a more jungle-ish jungle map.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadii View Post
    I think the map is missing the actual theme. The troll elements and the too shallow spread vegetation make it look more like a close-to-desert map, rather than a jungle. Just go nuts with the trees and vegetation.
    You tried to hide as much landscape as possible behind giant map objects that also replicate alot of BfA's troll theme rather than being a jungle. Don't be too afraid to go insane with green stuff. A jungle is suposed to be crowded and wild while those screenshots look more like a giant temple instead. Also a mix between older models is also a bit more refrehsing instead of going with all new-models all the time.
    If you wanna stick with the troll theme, you might take a look at Zul'Gurub and Stranglethorn to get more ideas how to create a more jungle-ish jungle map.

As stated in the post.... I already said that this was a contest of 5 hours and I didn't add all kinds of small detail to make it look like a jungle. It doesn't have groundeffects, vines, bushes, or other vegetation at all. This is just a show-off what I achieved in 5 hours.

And to show you an example of my other work (a jungle):

Other than that, thank you for the feedback. I appreciate it, although I specified I wasn't done with the build. Nonetheless I will use your feedback to improve myself in my next builds.
    Last edited by $phynx; 07-15-2018 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by $phynx View Post
    And to show you an example of my other work (a jungle):
    This one looks insanely good.

Quote Originally Posted by Loud21 View Post
    This one looks insanely good.
    true, its insane!

Hopefully with this wall of text I can explain something to all of you out there.

I create everything from scratch because, in my opinion it gives more character to the build and it will feel a lot nicer than throwing some alphamaps together (no offense to poisonleaf) and raising the terrain a bit. I got to agree that my build doesn't represent a jungle as much as I wanted it to be, but a build should never be rushed.

Even though we had 5 hours (and we could have done a lot in that time), we both didn't even get close to it being finished. I have a lot of experience in planning/creating/finishing a World of Warcraft map and my way of building a map is different to others, even in 5 hours I didn't get far enough to even show a jungle themed island and I have been doing noggit for quite a few years now.

It is very time consuming to even start a project, the terrain has to fit, the texturing has to be done and this can be very frustrating when you don't have enough time. Because my methods work different I wasn't able to show the Jungle theme as much. Which is a shame, but that is just how it is.

The thing is that all of my builds start off by adding the essentials, by this I mean that I start with the layout of the map, texture most parts, add additional .WMOs I wanna use (in this instance: Troll Objects) to simulate where the player will walk. After this I will heighten/lower the terrain additionally to fit the landscape the best. When this is all done, I will most likely add trees, bushes and so on, but this is very roughly done to just give myself an idea of where stuff has to go and what not. And after that I will texture about 99% properly so I can add details such as small bushes, vines, plants and all such later on.

This same method is used throughout the entirety of the stream and all of my builds on Undying-WoW, you can see me adding trees, but not adding anything else. This is because I am thinking 5 steps ahead. Where is the player going? Why is he going there? What will the player find there? What would it look like for the player? Is this area playable? Can the player navigate through the map without problems? Can the player walk here?

I learned to think about these vital points to ensure the player that takes a step into my maps will have no issue navigating through, can enjoy everything on there and can hopefully even admire the scenery.

I got to make sure that the player can enjoy the whole map, and not just a single part of it. I want the player to step into a world where they can look around everywhere and experience the feeling of exploring a new custom made world. The reason the Jungle Themed map wasn't finished is because there is more to a map then just making it.

I could have done the same as poisonleaf and finished a small piece of the island to fit the Jungle theme, but that is just not how I work.

If you're still reading this, good god you're a strong independent woman! But, I still want to congratulate Poisonleaf on creating something that looks amazing (not kidding).

I hope I cleared some stuff up, cause I've been getting a lot of: Meh, it doesn't look like a jungle. Nope, not a jungle!

I created a jungle before and it took me even longer to complete then the island I made so far.

REGISTER! (FREE)
    Registered members see less ads
    and also gain access to other great features.
    Quote Originally Posted by $phynx View Post
    Hello fellow AC-Webbers,

Last friday me and another Noggit-dev went head to head on a mission to create a jungle themed island. After 5 hours this is what I came up with. There is no additional details added as groundeffects, smaller doodads, etc to make it more wild and alive. So this is just a show-off what can be done in 5 hours.

I like it!

I know its hard to create a full detailed map in 5 hours. I like the new zandalari style so keep it up and i hope i will see this map in a finish version on undying wow