Welcome to AC Web.
Page 51 of 77 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Journey Begins

REGISTER! (FREE)
    Registered members see less ads
    and also gain access to other great features.
    Quote Originally Posted by vratam View Post
    Hey Shadowmonkey, here's what you need above all else: patience! Take it slowly and when you get frustrated (you will get frustrated) take a step back and relax. It's a journey and there's lots to learn, but as the saying goes, every journey starts with the first step; and, everyone who's accomplished it has taken that same starting step along the same journey. Be patient with yourself, take your time, and enjoy the journey. If you can do that, you will ultimately succeed :-)
    I'm looking it over. Question do I need to buy any of this software needed? I know some of it's free from MS. Can't afford to buy anything like software. But this does look interesting. Giving it a shot just to see if I can do it. We've got the best one right here but would be nice to practice doing it myself and maybe do a Pandaria one later if Im able.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmonkey View Post
    @Vratam I'm interested in learning but I want to try something simple. Is it possible to download these files and not have to do much programming or script writing. I know nothing of either.
    Building the application from source doesn't have much to do with programming or script writing. Furthermore, whether you build a vanilla, tbc, wrath, or whatever version server the process will pretty much be the same for all, although the required library files may vary. Just remember, once you finally get your server built you'll need the proper client to play. Only the server's source is open.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm looking it over. Question do I need to buy any of this software needed? I know some of it's free from MS. Can't afford to buy anything like software. But this does look interesting. Giving it a shot just to see if I can do it. We've got the best one right here but would be nice to practice doing it myself and maybe do a Pandaria one later if Im able.
    No, you can acquire all that you need free of charge, including Visual Studio by Micro$oft. (Although you'll need to make an account to continue using it after the initial trial period ends.)
    Last edited by vratam; 06-27-2019 at 02:58 AM.

I have all the clients through Battle for Azeroth. If I still have them all. I know I have Pandaria and the last one for sure.

I have all the clients through Battle for Azeroth. If I still have them all. I know I have Pandaria and the last one for sure.
    Good luck! Let us know how you progress.

Journey Begins.

Good luck! Let us know how you progress.

Well got the software downloaded. Getting late, work in morning. Going to start running it tomorrow night maybe. Thanks for the encouragement and @Brooks thanks for the links to get started.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooksTech View Post
    Maybe this patch video example will help. After watching it, I think you will see that my patching instructions are simple not vague. It has been my effort to make everything about this repack as simple to use as is reasonable to do. I hope it helps, and I'm sorry for the confusion. =)

Okay, now I see what I did wrong. I think I just overcomplicated things on my end. Thanks for the visual aid; I kinda find it easier to understand things with one.

On a side note, how is it that your version has Legion/BFA/WoD models?

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma2Me View Post
    Okay, now I see what I did wrong. I think I just overcomplicated things on my end. Thanks for the visual aid; I kinda find it easier to understand things with one.

No worries, I'm glad it helped! Next patch will not require the user to unpack the zip archive at all. All they will need to do is put the .zip archive into the repack directory.

I have a link to the graphics mods that I use in the optional downloads section of the first post. Check them out!
    Last edited by BrooksTech; 06-27-2019 at 12:23 PM.

Making the server

Ok got all the listed software downloaded and the source and data files. Question, Using these files does it matter which client I'm using? Is it possible to not use the data file I downloaded and just extract them from say the Pandaria DVD or others? The instructions also say to use the files you "cloned" I didn't use that feature I downloaded the zipfile instead. I also found you could do this easier using "Docker", but that seems like cheating and I'm not using Windows 10 at the moment. Can't stand it but I can install it as a dual boot if needed for some of this. Lot of questions but it's my first one sorry.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma2Me View Post

Don't feel bad I did the exact same thing with the first patch. After Brooks explained it to me I've had no problems. It's not as bad as it seems sometimes.

Question, Using these files does it matter which client I'm using?
    Client and Server are two separate pieces of software. You're building the server (you can't "build" the client). When you successfully build the server, you'll need the corresponding client to enter the game world; otherwise you would just have a running server and database with no means of connecting to it.

It doesn't matter where the client comes from (DVD, download) as long as its the right client (i.e., matches the server). In other words, you can't access a Wrath server using a MoP client, or vice versa.

If it were me, I'd clone the repository, rather than use the zip file, but that's just me; you can accomplish the build either way.

Server

Client and Server are two separate pieces of software. You're building the server (you can't "build" the client). When you successfully build the server, you'll need the corresponding client to enter the game world; otherwise you would just have a running server and database with no means of connecting to it.

It doesn't matter where the client comes from (DVD, download) as long as its the right client (i.e., matches the server). In other words, you can't access a Wrath server using a MoP client, or vice versa.

If it were me, I'd clone the repository, rather than use the zip file, but that's just me; you can accomplish the build either way.
    Ok I went back and cloned the source. When using CMake I browse to the cloned files. Not sure where is wants me to go "browse directory"? So I chose the same directory and once the desktop. But anywhere I choose I keep getting error messages source invalid or it's not the same as cache.

Ok I went back and cloned the source. When using CMake I browse to the cloned files. Not sure where is wants me to go "browse directory"? So I chose the same directory and once the desktop. But anywhere I choose I keep getting error messages source invalid or it's not the same as cache.
    I told you you're embarking upon a journey, and warned you to prepare yourself for a learning curve :-)

You're going to encounter many things you'll need to learn and figure out. It will almost certainly require researching errors, learning new software, learning new terminology and nomenclature, understanding commands and file structures, figuring out procedures and work flow, and setting up your system to correctly comply with all the necessary components and dependencies. Welcome to the world of building software :-)

My advice to you is this: Accept your challenge as that of learning the skill of how to build software; AzerothCore being only the project you've chosen to enable you to develop that skill. The goal, in other words, is to compile source code into a working application. There are myriads of references (tutorials, videos, blogs, etc.) to help you learn such a skill, so don't limit yourself. Patience, persistence, and desire are the attributes shared by everyone whom has ever succeeded in anything worthwhile.

I told you you're embarking upon a journey, and warned you to prepare yourself for a learning curve :-)

You're going to encounter many things you'll need to learn and figure out. It will almost certainly require researching errors, learning new software, learning new terminology and nomenclature, understanding commands and file structures, figuring out procedures and work flow, and setting up your system to correctly comply with all the necessary components and dependencies. Welcome to the world of building software :-)

My advice to you is this: Accept your challenge as that of learning the skill of how to build software; AzerothCore being only the project you've chosen to enable you to develop that skill. The goal, in other words, is to compile source code into a working application. There are myriads of references (tutorials, videos, blogs, etc.) to help you learn such a skill, so don't limit yourself. Patience, persistence, and desire are the attributes shared by everyone whom has ever succeeded in anything worthwhile.
    @vratam has it right. =)

"You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. ―Morpheus.

Eye of Acherus needs fixing for quest "Death Come from on High". It's very slow.

Quote Originally Posted by ElBaster View Post
    Eye of Acherus needs fixing for quest "Death Come from on High". It's very slow.
    You're right, but the quest works, it's not a real problem

REGISTER! (FREE)
    Registered members see less ads
    and also gain access to other great features.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElBaster View Post
    Not having played retail WotLK, with nothing to compare it to but the current retail iteration, I thought that was the normal speed for Wrath, lol. Just made me sit back and enjoy the ride :-)

Ditto to what @tifung states.