Welcome to AC Web.
Page 66 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast

REGISTER! (FREE)
    Registered members see less ads
    and also gain access to other great features.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooksTech View Post
    .gm off allows you to play like a player. with .gm on you will see things in the world that are hidden from players, and some NPCs and/or quests can respond in different ways to the gm. So play with .gm off and turn it on as needed.
    Interesting. Is there any documentation detailing what these differences are, that you know of?

Quote Originally Posted by vratam View Post
    Interesting. Is there any documentation detailing what these differences are, that you know of?
    No, it's just based on things that I've seen while testing

- - - Updated - - -

GM On, GM off

GM On:

GM Off:

No, it's just based on things that I've seen while testing
    Since I started playing back in January, I've always played in a GM enabled account, with GM mode on (I didn't even realize there was a mode until today). I haven't noticed anything strange that alerted me somethings different, but then this is my first encounter playing WotLK as well, and it alone is very different from any version of retail I've played. Based on what you've witnessed, and I'm not looking for a Blizzlike experience, would you say I'm missing things playing with GM mode on, or possibly its effect is taking something away from the game experience? You've got me wondering if I should start playing with it off, but I'm also wondering if its worthwhile. Again, I'm not looking to replicate a Blizzlike experience, and I strictly play solo.

I've done some searching online and found very little information regarding this. The most informative item I've found is that if you spawn a creature with GM mode on, other players will probably not be able to see it. This type of issue is naturally of no concern to a solo player.

[QUOTE=vratam;2354464]Since I started playing back in January, I've always played in a GM enabled account, with GM mode on (I didn't even realize there was a mode until today). I haven't noticed anything strange that alerted me somethings different, but then this is my first encounter playing WotLK as well, and it alone is very different from any version of retail I've played. Based on what you've witnessed, and I'm not looking for a Blizzlike experience, would you say I'm missing things playing with GM mode on, or possibly its effect is taking something away from the game experience? You've got me wondering if I should start playing with it off, but I'm also wondering if its worthwhile. Again, I'm not looking to replicate a Blizzlike experience, and I strictly play solo.

@Vratam I play in Gm mode all the time. The main thing I noticed is that mods don't always attack. One thing I do like about though is if you are farming a quest item if you have trouble finding another mob with that item, just .respawn and it comes back to life. As Brooks said I do see strange things like the bunny outside of Darn and the airforce elementals in honor hold. Not sure why they are there.

You will have the same experience playing on a GM account as you will a non GM account, with the exception being you have GM commands and GM mode at your disposal, and there are differences regarding the adding of characters on a GM account to the friends list.

The game will not be in a "playable" state for your character with .gm on enabled. What I mean by that is everything that was previously hostile to you will be (yellow) neutral to you, incapable of aggro toward you, and will continally heal damage done by you because they will not enter combat with you. You can interact with normally hostile NPCs like vendors, and see vendors items for all classes instead of just your class. You can also see things that would normally be unavailable, such as mobs and items placed in the game world to act as triggers for various events/scripts/quests, and manipulate things you normally cannot such as doors, gates, etc. And yes, people can see mobs, and npcs you spawn.

You can still use .gm commands with .gm mode set to off because you are on a gm account. GM spells on the other hand, cannot be used unless it is set to on.

Hopefully that makes some sense, considering I'm half asleep and autocorrect keeps fighting me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmonkey View Post
    @Vratam I play in Gm mode all the time. The main thing I noticed is that mods don't always attack. One thing I do like about though is if you are farming a quest item if you have trouble finding another mob with that item, just .respawn and it comes back to life. As Brooks said I do see strange things like the bunny outside of Darn and the airforce elementals in honor hold. Not sure why they are there.
    Thanks, Shadowmonkey. I appreciate your input.

Early this evening I discovered that the .gm command, issued by itself, will output the GM mode currently set. When I logged in to play, I checked the status on a few characters and found that the GM mode defaults to "off." So although I've been playing in GM enabled accounts, I've also been playing with the GM mode "off."

For those that have been following this topic, just to clarify, as far as I can discern, playing on a GM enabled account (with the GM mode off) will not impede your ability to issue GM commands in any way. So if you choose to play this way and want to remain Blizzlike, you'll have to foster self-control when it comes to the availability of commands.

Additionally, I could find no means to raise a single character's security level. Either you have a GM enabled account or not. If so, every character on the account will have this ability, whether newly created or previously existing.

Finally, turning the GM mode "on" does enable certain features, as BrooksTech and Shadowmonkey have mentioned (a few of which can be found by scouring the Internet), which may or may not adversely affect a user's interaction within the game world. As with most things, we'll all have to decide for ourselves; but, as BrooksTech's earlier response supported, if you desire to play Blizzlike on a GM enable account, you'll definitely want the GM mode off, which, conveniently, is its default state.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dhasslef View Post
    You will have the same experience playing on a GM account as you will a non GM account, with the exception being you have GM commands and GM mode at your disposal, and there are differences regarding the adding of characters on a GM account to the friends list.

The game will not be in a "playable" state for your character with .gm on enabled. What I mean by that is everything that was previously hostile to you will be (yellow) neutral to you, incapable of aggro toward you, and will continally heal damage done by you because they will not enter combat with you. You can interact with normally hostile NPCs like vendors, and see vendors items for all classes instead of just your class. You can also see things that would normally be unavailable, such as mobs and items placed in the game world to act as triggers for various events/scripts/quests, and manipulate things you normally cannot such as doors, gates, etc. And yes, people can see mobs, and npcs you spawn.

You can still use .gm commands with .gm mode set to off because you are on a gm account. GM spells on the other hand, cannot be used unless it is set to on.

Hopefully that makes some sense, considering I'm half asleep and autocorrect keeps fighting me.
    This explains a lot, some of which I found on the Internet, some which I did not. Thank you for taking the time to write it up!

Guys, what about the Auction House? Is it working properly? Does it make any troubles with server stability or lag? How to enable it?

Yes, its the same, but if you set it too high (or too low) and want to change it, you have to shut down the server and make the change in the file.
    You can change the file while the server is running and then use the reload config command in the console.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokrael View Post
    Guys, what about the Auction House? Is it working properly? Does it make any troubles with server stability or lag? How to enable it?
    I think BrooksTech is currently working on a custom bot.
    I did not try to use the current bot, but I think there should be a config file in you server folder.

Quote Originally Posted by lolroflomg View Post
    You can change the file while the server is running and then use the reload config command in the console.
    What exactly is the command?

.reload config ?

What exactly is the command?

.reload config ?
    From the documentation:

Syntax: .reload config
    Reload config settings. Not all settings can be change at reload: some new setting values will be ignored until restart, some values will applied with delay or only to new objects/maps, some values will explicitly rejected to change at reload.

EDIT: In case you're unaware, there is a document of GM commands supplied by the repack here:
    $SERVER_DIR/server/docs/GM Stuff/GM_Commands_335a.html

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lolroflomg View Post
    Thanks, man! This makes things much more convenient :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Permanently Spawn NPC

I created a custom NPC in the DB. I can go in-game with a particular character and spawn the NPC, but how do I have the NPC always remain in the game world, regardless of which character I'm logged on as? Is there a "spawn" table of some kind? I'm looking for a way to permanently place the NPC using specific coordinate positioning (x,y,z,orientation,etc.).

Never mind, I found it: world.creature
    Last edited by vratam; 07-19-2019 at 05:11 PM.

Here is our first dungeon run in this repack. All seems perfect. Thanks again BrooksTech!
    (Mine VAS settings are listed in the description)

https://youtu.be/0CdaX6dk64M

The hard part starts at 12min +

From the documentation:

Syntax: .reload config
    Reload config settings. Not all settings can be change at reload: some new setting values will be ignored until restart, some values will applied with delay or only to new objects/maps, some values will explicitly rejected to change at reload.

EDIT: In case you're unaware, there is a document of GM commands supplied by the repack here:
    $SERVER_DIR/server/docs/GM Stuff/GM_Commands_335a.html

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, man! This makes things much more convenient :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Permanently Spawn NPC

I created a custom NPC in the DB. I can go in-game with a particular character and spawn the NPC, but how do I have the NPC always remain in the game world, regardless of which character I'm logged on as? Is there a "spawn" table of some kind? I'm looking for a way to permanently place the NPC using specific coordinate positioning (x,y,z,orientation,etc.).

Never mind, I found it: world.creature
    As GM use: .npc add [entry]

- - - Updated - - -

Here is our first dungeon run in this repack. All seems perfect. Thanks again BrooksTech!

Cool!

As GM use: .npc add [entry]
    Nice!!! Love how it positions according to the player.

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats! Looks like you had a good time, all the world is safer now :-)

- - - Updated - - -

TEXT PLACEHOLDERS

When a NPC speaks, and in written communication as well, there are placeholders. For example, $N gets replaced with the player name. Does anyone know the placeholders pertaining to the character class and race? Perhaps $C and $R?

REGISTER! (FREE)
    Registered members see less ads
    and also gain access to other great features.
    After extensive testing from level15 to 80 (and 85) I've found VAS completely useless unless you play strictly alone. Even then, you're better off just using the creature settings in the worldserver.conf. Whenever the thrash mobs are perfect, the bosses are too hard and if the bosses are perfect, the thrash is too easy. Once you've balanced the 1-79 dungeons, the Heroics doesn't scale properly with "normal" gearing for 80 heroics and you need to adjust it down again, which makes 1-79 too easy. Then there's 10-man raids, heroic raids and so on and so on.

A couple of settings more in the worldserver.conf and it would've been VERY easy to balance the server properly for the amount of players. VAS primarily became an issue when there were 3 in the group, particularly when entering heroics and raids. Inflection 0.5 were too hard and 0.6 were too easy. Go figure. I didn't bother testing without the end-game boost setting and so forth as the settings in the worldserver.conf is almost all you need.
    Last edited by Sabatasso; 07-19-2019 at 11:14 PM.