Welcome to AC Web.

About public emulation

REGISTER! (FREE)
    Registered members see less ads
    and also gain access to other great features.
    From my point of view players lose alot of interest in playing anymore private servers due to free emulation access to everything, nowadays everyone has a private server even without previous emulation experience and then top private servers listing websites are full of unknown and unpopulated servers.
    I think a solution might be adding a price for use of TrinityCore/CMangos/Mangos/Arcemu/Etc and also a price for adding your server on top server listing websites which would make the "B guy" think better before opening "another one out of 99999999" private server if that worths, and my point is that making only those big servers to survive and increase more population on worthy servers.

What do you guys think and what could be a solution?
    Last edited by Blake Barraclough; 06-23-2018 at 09:27 AM.

You'd see a rapid increase of "Donate for items to help pay for core and server listing costs"

On top of that even if someone managed to orchestrate this massive collaboration it would only cut it down to "another one of 999999" servers as people would just pay the 10$ - 30$ and get on with it.

But its a great idea none the less

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaBacon View Post
    You'd see a rapid increase of "Donate for items to help pay for core and server listing costs"

On top of that even if someone managed to orchestrate this massive collaboration it would only cut it down to "another one of 999999" servers as people would just pay the 10$ - 30$ and get on with it.

But its a great idea none the less
    I think about paying for copyright to TrinityCore or any other emulation core on a average of maybe 100-120 per month subscription, besides that will increase development interest for developers to dobetter fixes and increase stability of the core. Think about that... True quality private servers, less servers, more populated servers! That's my point.

Has it ever crossed your mind that someone could, maybe, "purchase the source" from the Trinitycore developers, and then post it here or on any other emulation forum?

So you want to pay for something that is illegal in the first place. Ok. That surely won't attract ANY attention from blzz legal reps

I think it sounds like a terrible idea.

If someone wants to host a private server using TrinityCore as an example, they can feel free to do so at their own risk.

I think your problem is there is no good website that lists different private servers by their true popularity and real ratings, but are instead inflated by bots and what-not.

There's absolutely zero chance of something like this ever happening.
    Last edited by Krudor; 06-23-2018 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo

Quote Originally Posted by Loud21 View Post
    Has it ever crossed your mind that someone could, maybe, "purchase the source" from the Trinitycore developers, and then post it here or on any other emulation forum?
    That would violate the copyright then and when running a private server my idea is to register your server with the source, like letting the "trinitycore" team know that you are running a purchased server, but that should happen when you purchase the license from trinitycore.

Quote Originally Posted by dd667 View Post
    So you want to pay for something that is illegal in the first place. Ok. That surely won't attract ANY attention from blzz legal reps
    I know its illegal to have a private server Indeed! But I think is fair to pay for trinitycore for their services NOT forthe GAME CLIENT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krudor View Post
    I think it sounds like a terrible idea.

If someone wants to host a private server using TrinityCore as an example, they can feel free to do so at their own risk.

I think your problem is there is no good website that lists different private servers by their true popularity and real ratings, but are instead inflated by bots and what-not.

There's absolutely zero chance of something like this every happening.
    That could be a part of the answer, thanks

Trinitycore is GPL and made by thousand(s) of people(s) across the entire world, what your current "plan/idea" is to give the money only to the people that has access to push/merge and do other stuff at the repository which is extremely dumb. If you really want to "support" developers feel free to use the BountySource system and put money on issues that has the highest priorty.

WoW Emulation is a community thing. Any kind of money involvement is the worst thing that can happen to a community. Player do not lose interest in private servers. They are merely driven off due to confusion because they cannot find any "honest" server anymore.

It is much too late to try to force a price on getting access to the server software. All I would need to do would be to fork the current Trinity/MaNGOS/cMaNGOS/whatever source on Github/GitLab and bingo, I've got the current source which I can then turn into a free version that can be developed.

Granted this means starting up a whole new team (maybe getting some of the current devs) but it can still be done.

In the end, that's how Trinity started (forked from MaNGOS) when some of the MaNGOS devs didn't like the direction things were going and decided to start their own. cMaNGOS is another example of a fork from MaNGOS (with original devs).

The point is, as the code base is currently available to all, the genie cannot be put back into the bottle. Putting a pay wall in front of all this will solve nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadii View Post
    WoW Emulation is a community thing. Any kind of money involvement is the worst thing that can happen to a community. Player do not lose interest in private servers. They are merely driven off due to confusion because they cannot find any "honest" server anymore.
    Also many people lost the motivation to clear the same raids X years in a row. It's fun to clear the content every now and then, but clearing ICC for 10 years in a row is just not fun.

REGISTER! (FREE)
    Registered members see less ads
    and also gain access to other great features.
    Too late