Welcome to AC Web.

[Newbies] Tips to Everyone

REGISTER! (FREE)
    Registered members see less ads
    and also gain access to other great features.
    Hello guys. I just wanted to give some tips to people who are starting on the private server making side of WoW.

Tip 1: Do not host your core with the website. Make them separate. Get a separate host somewhere else. For example, you could get a Namecheap webhost, godaddy domain and OVH server.
    In the OVH server, you'd host the game. You'd have your domain at Godaddy and the website at Namecheap.
    "Oh, but then how will people connect to my realmlist??????? huh???"

Tip 2: I'm glad you asked. Cloudflare. Cloudflare works like a flexible bridge you can build multiple paths on. Make an account, point your domain (it doesn't have to be godaddy, but I advise to stay away from 1&1),
    towards your Cloudflare account, and you can point any subdomain you want into any IP address. It really makes it prettier to connect to logon.cool-wow.com rather than 133.113.311.331 or whatever.
    It doesn't make it safer because anyone can open their CMD and > ping logon.cool-wow.com, but makes it less nooby.

Tip 3:
    Don't dream too high. Seriously, unless you're sitting on a nicely and properly settled team of 30 Devs and GMs, with proper planning, a huge ass budget you're willing to give to for free for at least the first
    few months (unless you don't want to open a donation/voting shop), you will never, ever be as big as Nostalrius, Elysium Project or any of those people. Maybe you'll get in the middle, but it will take PLENTY of
    time. Which brigs me to tip 4.

Tip 4: Patience is a virtue. Seriously, it is. If you are one one of those people who are willing to put effort into a long term project, then go ahead. If you're going to cry because you don't have more than 5 players in
    two weeks and your server isn't anything new (simple normal blizzlike 3.3.5a out of Jeutie's repack thrown into a cheap and weak windows VPS), then expect to not have many players around. And don't even
    for a single moment blindly believe that you'll get donations all the time and that the server will magically pay itself. You're not going to charge for a subscription here, if you get a shop it's only for either vanity
    items or Pay 2 Win. Many people don't like Pay 2 Win in the WoW community. And one player won't buy the whole shop even if you put "INVISIBRUS REINS 1000 DONATIONS LUL". It's like the idiots over on
    Firestorm. Trying to sell their characters on their custom site shop for over 1k donation points. You need to pay more than 99 to get 1k donation points there. Ugh. But we're not here to criticize others.
    We're here to criticize your "glorious" thoughts on how you plan to be the next Nostalrius.

Tip 5: Innovation isn't the only thing that matters. How do you get a successful WoW server? Population. Unless you get too many, else Blizzard will be onto you, but that's another different story.
    And how do you get population? Quality, obviously. How do you show that your server has quality?
    1 - Good looking professional, and user friendly website. And no, FusionCMS doesn't count. I'll get on that in a moment.
    2 - Actually active GM team.
    3 - Regular updates. Don't wait until Trinity devs decide to fix that insignificant gnome's gossip bug above every other just because YOU want it. So you either learn yourself, or get a small team, few people is good enough really. I'll get onto that in a moment too.
    4 - Properly distributed roles withing the team. The QA department are the ones who keep their eyes on the players, to see what they want, what they're saying, what they think, etc. Hence why it's called QA. Quality Assurance.
    5 - Some actual good luck. Let's face it. I'll compare Warhammer with WoW. What did WoW have that Warhammer didn't? What made Warhammer die while WoW kept evolving? I'll get onto that in a moment as well.

Tip 7: Why doesn't FusionCMS count as a good looking site? I'll give you a clue. FusionCMS is that chick dated your mate Jesper, but then Jesper broke up with her because everyone was trying to show
    her their cocks. Eventually, she allowed it. She's the corner slut. And not only that, she's old. As old as that blowjob woman from American Pie. Ew. It will you a nicely looking, simple website with a nice admin
    panel, but it's the easy route. It's the shitty route. Do you see any of them big servers using FusionCMS? Of course not! So this tip is basically: don't think that learning some mysql is enough. You're gonna need
    some PHP, HTML, JQuery and others if you're alone. Don't forget you still have to learn c++ if you are to keep your server updated. Obviously, only assuming this if you're trying to go in on your own, all alone.
    Which leads to tip 7, which has been mentioned, but not enforced I guess.

Tip 8: Get a team. No, seriously. Even if it's just two people. One knows how to website, the other knows how to private server, and they can both pay (if that's how you wanna go, not my business) the monthly
    costs together. One person alone won't be able to keep with everything. You end up wasting money on a server for a month, possibly two or luckily 3 and forgetting about it's existance because there are
    no players (WELL DATS FUSIONCMS FAULT lel). No. Wait! Before you get a team, get an idea first. Why do you want to make a server? Do you want to make loads of money? WRONG. Do you want
    to have fun with others, get some donations if you want to have a shop so that you can pay the monthly costs with those donations? Better.

Tip 10: Why did Warhammer Online die? I mean that shite is as old as WoW, and there's over a thousand books of stories. The game wasn't even bad, even I played it when I was a kid and enjoyed it.
    Well. I guess when you're 8 and your native language isn't english, but you still wanna play a cool looking game, you'll say it's good. But I read some reviews and watched some videos, anyway, whatever.
    Point is, it died because devs were shit. Maybe not the devs. I mean, whoever wanted to keep the game hosted on a toaster, it was that person's fault. But WoW sometimes acts like a toaster too. It's a
    matter of how envolved you are, I guess. How much does the game pull you in. WoW did it right. The story, the graphics, the gameplay. Even though to level a new character on retail atm you spend
    10 minutes in Northshire/Elwynn/Westfall and then you're buying a Flask of the Rapid Mind to get thrown from 15 to 30 in 15 minutes. Then you spam more dungeons until you're 100 where you'll
    do some quests half-arsed and ding max. But that doesn't matter either anyway. Point is, your server needs to be the WoW of WoWs. It can't just be another WoW. I know I won't bother to even
    click on the link to your website if your server is "hurr durr blizzlike 3.3.5a with 5x rates and LK armor patch".

These are MY TIPS, remember that, not an opinion box, so please don't come to insult on how my tips are bad because you think they are.

I bet you didn't even read half of the post, else you'd have noticed TIP 6 doesn't exist! Just kidding, it's okay if you didn't look at my BOLD tip titles.
    Last edited by hsoares; 03-20-2017 at 04:34 PM.

Why wouldn't you host the website and core on the same host?

Quote Originally Posted by vimmer100 View Post
    Why wouldn't you host the website and core on the same host?
    1 - Cluttering it all together, like going to an ATM and getting your whole bank account into your wallet. If your server gets a DDOS, the site will be safe. Or SQLInjection, the server could be safe instead. Outsmart the thieves and hackers! Another tip that I forgot, use HARD ASS passwords such as €{mOn3ys!=l0o0l? , [b4nat!n4at=$ . You get it, with a bunch of special characters. I promise you, by the time that password gets bruteforced, not even retail WoW will be in existance!

1.5 - To be even safer, you could a different host for almost each of your databases if you're paranoid. One host for (assuming you're using trinity) auth, another for the website, and another for the characters and world (those two need to be together, I believe)

2 - Overall performance. It does take CPU and RAM usage for sites to work. The more players that visit the site, the more power you need and you could be using that power on your server to host more players. Besides the fact hosts are cheap nowadays. $10 gets you an entire reseller with unlimited sites, so it's also a good money maker on the side.

Also remember people these are my views from experience and knowledge, you don't need to take them to heart if you don't want to. Not forcing anyone.
    Last edited by hsoares; 03-20-2017 at 05:23 PM.

Hail to the King

Alright, I'm getting sick and tired of this shit. Read goddammit.

Quote Originally Posted by Exileḏ View Post
    Lmao, sorry about that. Can a MOD move this topic pls?

Quote Originally Posted by Exileḏ View Post
    What about cortesy?
    "Hey Hsoares, this is a nice ass topic, but you posted it in the wrong section."

That should be a thing nowadays, at least it is when people are well educated.

OT: Really good tips, I find myself relating to these

Quote Originally Posted by hsoares View Post
    Lmao, sorry about that. Can a MOD move this topic pls?
    Moved to the correct section.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleefest View Post
    What about cortesy?
    "Hey Hsoares, this is a nice ass topic, but you posted it in the wrong section."

Tehehe, it's okay, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by PrivateDonut View Post
    Moved to the correct section.
    Thank you Super Mod

Hail to the King

REGISTER! (FREE)
    Registered members see less ads
    and also gain access to other great features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleefest View Post
    What about cortesy?

lol