Welcome to AC Web.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Question Our Civilization

REGISTER! (FREE)
    Registered members see less ads
    and also gain access to other great features.
    The generation now alive and our grandchildren are the most important generations ever to walk the surface of the Earth. We are the generations that will determine whether we make the transition from Type 0 to Type 1 or we destroy ourselves because of our arrogance and our weapons.

Our Civilization

Unlimited's look into the Kardashev scale and our struggle for survival

Our world is a constantly expanding knowledge base of technology through time. Our civilization has advanced vastly in the last 100 years and even vaster in the last 50 or 20 or 10. A century ago people's vision for the future was far different than what we see today. The technology that sparks our civilization was unimaginable then. And just image a thousand years ago or four thousand years ago. Imagine how powerful we have become. Now imagine where we will be in the next 1000 years. Imagine how extraordinary our technology could be.

Imagine a torus three times the diameter of Earth with inhabitants scaling the entire interior and exterior of this megastructure in space, known as an Orbital.

As the Kardashev scale goes, there are three designated categories of civilization called Type I, Type II, and Type III. Because it is impossible to determine the fate of our technology, this scale is classed on usable energy a civilization has at its disposal with regards to the degree of space colonization.

This scale, though may not be entirely sophisticated, is a good representation on the advancement of civilization. These are the types as follows.

Type I - This civilization harnesses the energy output of an entire planet which may be approximately 10^16 or 10^17 watts available. A Type I civilization would be able to manipulate planetary energies into doing such things as changing the weather or motion of tectonic plates. Indications may include:

• Near space industry and colonization
    • Asteroid mining
    • Planetary Mining for fuels and energy on other planets
    • Interstellar travel
    • Culture Orbitals
    • Ringworlds (like in Halo)
    • Construction commence on Dyson Sphere or Alderson disk
    • Civilization extends to the entire Solar System
    • One nation without boundaries on Earth though we'll kill ourselves before then
    • Ram-jet fusion engines
    • Photonic drive

Type II - This civilization harnesses the energy output of a star, and generates about 10 billion times the energy output of a Type I civilization or approximately 4 ×10^26 watts. A Type II civilization would be able to manipulate stellar energies such as the power of solar flares. Nothing known to our science can destroy a Type II civilization, even a supernova where the civilization would simply move or stop the nuclear flares from exploding. Indications may include:

• Dyson sphere or Dyson swarm
    • Creation of the nearest star colony
    • Star lifting, where stars are mined for raw materials
    • Antimatter drive
    • Von Neumann nano probes

A Dyson sphere is a hypothetical megastructure of satellites orbiting a star to capture most or all of its energy output to be used as a main source of stellar power for a civilization.

Type III - Type III – This civilization harnesses the energy output of a galaxy, or about 10 billion times the energy output of a Type II civilization or perhaps 4 ×10^37 watts (though that figure is extremely variable). A Type III civilization would be able to manipulate galactic _ and have extracted energy from hundreds of billions of stars. This civilization may even have the power to control the fate of a galaxy.

A Type III civilization would colonize probably by creating robots to land on moons creating factories to send millions of other robots to other moons who also create factories of their own. With a single robot, a million would be produced, then a billion, then a trillion until you have a sphere expanding at the speed of light creating quadrillions of these robots which could simply wait in their designated locations for a Type 1 civilization to emerge, perhaps like in 2001: A Space Odyssey. Indications may include:

• Warp speed capabilities beyond the speed of light - by expanding the space behind and compressing the space in font pushing you ahead without acceleration
    • Wormhole usage - by bending a plane of space to form shortcuts
    • Manipulation of supermassive black holes
    • Ability to survive the end of the Universe
    • Planck energy propulsion

So where are we on this prestigious scale?

Type 0. We are so unsophisticated that we don't even rank on the chart. We are practically a crippled cockroach to the technology that awaits. You'd think it's incredible where we are, and maybe it is mathematically. But our technology not only cannot save keep our civilization alive for another few hundred years from even the smallest of natural disasters yet alone the distant disasters of the Sun, black holes, and asteroids, but even threatens our very existence.

On one hand we have the forces of integration - the forces of tolerance and multicultural fabric emerging before our eyes. On the other hand, we have weapons of mass destruction, biological warfare, nuclear warfare, the rise of international terrorism and political separations. These are all obstacles for reaching a Type I civilization.

It is perhaps the most depressing issue of our time that we, at the verge of becoming Type I, place our brightest of humans in laboratories manufacturing weaponry with the metal of greed for little fucking monkey politicians. If our idea of governance persists to be a civilization of nations, we will most likely fail. If we do not become extinct, we may probably exhaust our Earth of its energy from dead plants, which we rely on so greatly. This would render us incapable of developing, therefore dying out a slow, inevitable death.

This image is a mindfuck as the technology for this warfare will simply not exist at the current level our governments operate.

To clarify just how superior Type I is to Type 0, Tsar Bomba, the largest nuclear weapon ever detonated, released an estimated 57 megaton yield; where as a Type I civilization would make about 25 megatons of TNT equivalent a second which is like detonating one Tsar Bomba every 2.3 seconds.

Our civilization is in actual fact Type 0.72 growing roughly 3% every year. It's calculated that we will reach Type I in about 100 to 200 years, Type II status in a few thousand years, and Type III in 100,000 to a million years. But, again, it's doubtful we may make it. This is right now perhaps the most crucial moment in history where we transition from Type 0 to I. Proven by our technological efforts, we can change. But proven by the history of politics, we may not be looking at the right change.

Try to imagine an extraterrestrial super-civilization watching and observing the human dominance over the Earth and ourselves. Perhaps one of the first things they'd laugh at is our idea of nations. Nations in probably almost every way are not a good thing. We are one civilization - not many. Then the individual dominations our countries ponder about day and night the aliens would laugh at next.

We live in an unbalanced world where technology is might and intelligence is dim. Though it's more and more evident that the newest generations are less intelligent than its previous since the last century, the newer generations are play more specific roles in society with the approach they should only know of their professions. If stupidity is the absence of knowledge, than this is true, but because of humanity's focus in specifics, this does not hurt our development. What does are our most powerful people who work in a profession entirely based on opinion and quarrel. The extraterrestrials would laugh most at this. And I am certain extraterrestrial civilizations would be a single nation each.

Though the Kardashev scale is of three types, there is a variation of seven. These would be the following types:

Type IV - We are entirely uncertain of what Type IV and above would be, but perhaps this would be an extra-dimensional civilization which mines dark energy and other substances of energy throughout superclusters. Such a civilization would be Gods to us and many billions of years more advanced.

Type V - Such a civilization may attain near total or total control of the energy in the entire universe, though this is impossible with our current understanding of physics. A Type V may even be able to survive a collapse of the universe.

Type VI - We have no knowledge of a multiverse, but if it exists, a Type VI would probably gain infinite or greater quantities of energy exploring and conquering other universes. Perhaps entire Dyson spheres would be constructed for universes... assuming a universe is 3D and enclosed. Such a civilization would truly be immortal. Type VI may also alter the laws of science at will across its universes.

Type VII - This would be a deity capable of twisting and bending universes at will and even creating universes for a true supply of infinite energy. This is far beyond our understanding of technological singularity, as are several of the civilization types above.

The more we mine our Earth of its life, the darker it becomes and the closer to death we become. Yet, when it couldn’t be worse, instead of using our minerals to transition at this most crucial moment, we choose to finance supremacy through war.

Our world is a constantly expanding knowledge base of technology through time. But if we do not change, and change now, our governments will lead us to the lost graveyard of space, drifting away from time.

Question Our Civilization Part II

In conclusion, here are a few questions for you to contemplate.

How far do you believe we will advance before destroying ourselves in the process?

How should our governments become sustainable for a near or distant future? Should we perhaps become one nation some day?

How do you believe we as a civilization will advance?

What kind of technology will we have in the distant future? You can totally ignore the Kardashev scale for this as it's virtually based on a civilization's energy capacity.

What do you think would be the most revolutionary invention? How would it affect us?

If we continue the same practices, where will our civilization be in 100 or even 1000 years? It may not even survive that long yet alone one million.

Do you believe in extraterrestrial life? Bare in mind, mathematics says there should be thousands of Type I and Type II civilizations in only our galaxy, yet reasons against this could be unsuitable living circumstances.

Graphic Designer

Unlimited, how do u manage to come up with all these posts? =o

Overachiever

i bet that in 100 years humans won't exist anymore. We will destroy ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjerkeng View Post
    Unlimited, how do u manage to come up with all these posts? =o
    It's really not hard to type a few paragraphs and attach a few images if you're completely knowledgeable of the subject.

---

So everybody, read well and respond to my questions.
    And if you want something that will really shock you, read: Reality or Simulation

Enjoy.

Living in real time, dreaming in digits, thinking in binary, talking in melody.
    The mis-understood democration makes our civilization reality, even if that costs many people struggling.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastar View Post
    i bet that in 100 years humans won't exist anymore. We will destroy ourselves.
    I'm afraid that we, the normal humans don't destroy our world, we only want to survive. Our goverments and unions such as USA, NATO (descluding the SSSR) makes us struggle, to profit their needs on our lives. As long as we live thinking that these unions are for good, we will be struggling, and soon be done.
    We, the normal people are the world, not the politics or business mans. No army will go to kill their own country, if the country no longer obbeys the goverment. The power lays within us, it only have to be unleashed. But, do we dare and desire to unleash and hold that power?
    Last edited by AwkwardDev; 01-09-2011 at 01:09 PM.

Altough we have humans have the great ability to blow our selves up. I think that at the brink of exstinsion we will realise that we are totaly wrong and all that talk..
    We could reach type I like that, and then their will be a 90% change that we start fighting eachother again, Atleast at that point we won't be able to destroy ourselves anymore and slowly we rise and rise on the scale, ofcourse wars will stop after a while. That's how i think it might possible go, i give it a 69% of succes.

Quote Originally Posted by arjo112 View Post
    Altough we have humans have the great ability to blow our selves up. I think that at the brink of exstinsion we will realise that we are totaly wrong and all that talk..
    We could reach type I like that, and then their will be a 90% change that we start fighting eachother again, Atleast at that point we won't be able to destroy ourselves anymore and slowly we rise and rise on the scale, ofcourse wars will stop after a while. That's how i think it might possible go, i give it a 69% of succes.
    Interesting observation.

A lot of the physicists like Dr. Michio Kaku who specifically work with this field of study believe we'll destroy ourselves before we reach Type I. I, myself, disagree just as I would ignorantly disagree to the Simulation Hypothesis which I discussed in the earlier thread. It's in human nature really to deny these things. Another thing in human nature is war and stupidity.

We may be intelligent by name, but we are no good guys. Humanity's driven by separate political bodies designated to countries. If there is extraterrestrial life of our level out there, while some may be more retarded than we, many others I'm sure would work entirely united as one empire. We are today many empires limiting our power by our national divisions. It's almost as if we are hostile aliens among ourselves who all happen to inhabit the same planet fighting for the same fuels, 'money' and land.

So you may be right that we'll realize after a very short World War III or whatever disaster it will take to make us listen that we'll try changing our ways. But as a smart man once said:

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
    I don't know what weapons will be used in World War III, but in World War IV people will use sticks and stones.
    Even if the following war (and an upcoming war I'm sure is inevitable) doesn't shock us back to prehistory, we have a very high chance to fuck up before ever coming close to Type II which is supposedly when we're in the 'safe zone'.

Banned

In about 30-40 years we will run out of metal to make shit with...

I'm back, sorta.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolvarxx View Post
    In about 30-40 years we will run out of metal to make shit with...
    Yes, and we'll also run out of crude oil. The world is fucked.

TheViking

I'm so fucking smart that I make smart people look like retards.
    Our human race is way to smart to run out of oil,metal,condoms etc...
    But if we do run out of it then we would possibly just gather new resources to make it possible to make the world work.
    I think the human race will go under earth once all the nature elements hits us.
    Who will save us?''God''?''An American hero''?
    I bet Stephen hawking had plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Minilano View Post
    Our human race is way to smart to run out of oil,metal,condoms etc...
    But if we do run out of it then we would possibly just gather new resources to make it possible to make the world work.
    I think the human race will go under earth once all the nature elements hits us.
    Who will save us?''God''?''An American hero''?
    I bet Stephen hawking had plans.
    I don't think we're that smart at all. We are going to pump the oil out of our Earth's veins dry very soon, and yes, we are developing new sustainable replacements for this, but there is so many more resources we are revolved around.

We are so unsophisticated, we're a species revolved around dead plants. Silicon is becoming the new oil, for instance, and I'm sure you've all heard about the water crisis. We're replacing silicon with quantum mechanics, but this kind of technology to be truly sustainable may take many years of research. And while we strive to find a cure for our resource consumption, we're killing each other with new forms of warfare. Imagine a near future fought with germ warfare, creating new viruses, and such weapons to be more powerful than nuclear weaponry. While we citizens may understand, our leaders do not. And Stephen Hawking can't do anything, not that he's in a wheelchair, but that he's a scientist. And scientists never lead.

So it's really now a race between science and politics.

---

Another question for you to answer, among the others I've listed in post #2.

Asuming our civilization will live another 5000 years, will we evolve into something all-knowing and powerful like a transhumanist civilization trillions of times more intelligent than we are today

or will we evolve into something dark and sinister revolved around corruption and oppression?

Troll King.

Most likely we have a suitable habit that meet our requirement take its resource to supply us with what we need until that plant is destroy or we colonizes it until its destroyed. If we do be come trans-human that would be sweet

And it would essentially mean we no longer are homo sapiens. To be posthuman or transhuman is to be an entirely new species, one which we create.

---

Next thread in my intellectual saga will be a thread about my ideas instead of other people's. So before it really gets interesting, let's keep a hot conversation going here.

Troll King.

REGISTER! (FREE)
    Registered members see less ads
    and also gain access to other great features.
    Actually Scientist Call us Homo Sapiens Sapiens. Homo Sapiens were in BC time.